How do I use tweening?

Hi. I am new to wick, and I love it but can someone please explain to me how to use tweening? All my animations are coming out choppy.

Hey @D_MASTER59! Here’s a few images that should help.

1. First, add an object to a keyframe.

2. Expand your keyframe to be more than 1 frame long.
    expand%20frame
    Here, I expand my frame to over 25 frames long.
    long

3. Select the keyframe, and click on the frame number you’d like your tween to start on. Then, press “Add tween keyframe” in the inspector.
    add

4. Select the position on your keyframe where you want the tween to end.

5. Move your objects on the canvas! Now, you should be able to play your animation!

3 Likes

Thanks @Luxapodular! I didn’t know how to use tweening, but now I do!

1 Like

Is there also a way to do shape tweening?

@GilgameshTheEpic No shape tweening yet, but we think we’ve found a way to do this in the next major version of Wick! We don’t have a planned release dat yet, but stay tuned for more info.

4 Likes

Hey this might be because I am using the new wick editor, but I was wondering where the button is in step 3?

Hey @CHAR, we actually don’t have a tweening button in the new editor YET. (Zach is adding this button to the timeline as we speak.) Should be updated by this evening.

1 Like

I think that shape tweening should have 2 options, curved and linear.
Curved would calculate the other shape points and stay away from them, making a curved path to the B point.
Linear would just make a straight path to the B point.

how do you use tweening in alpha?

@FurryHedgehog There is a diamond-shaped button on the left of the timeline which adds tweening to the frame you’re on.

1 Like

Thank you :grinning:

When will you add Motion Tweening? It will make my animation(s) look better.

Here is a tutorial, Hope it helps…

Hi @FortBlaster2020, do you mean easing? If yes, then answer solved. (By the way this is a old topic, please don’t bump into old topics)

Tweening usually doesn’t solve some kinds of choppy animations, and ease of movement is a much better method. Quick Tips:

1. Change the FPS rate (Rate at how fast/slow your animation is)
  2. Add more frames in-between movements of characters
  3. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqjIdI4bF4
1 Like

why are you giving wick editor for free?

because its for people that dont want to ask their mom for adobe animate
and free and its still good so- yeh

1 Like

“Free” is a difficult and multi faceted concept. Wick is FOSS.
Which is great, as I was able to make some (very, very) small changes to the code I neede :-)