Dumb question (my specialty!)

When a student sends me a file like this:

button5-11-2020_9-43-44AM.wick

How do I open/view it? She’s been trying to export it, but hasn’t succeeded.
She also sent it as an HTML file:

file:///C:/Users/Home%20Pc/Downloads/button%20(1).html

and I can’t see that either.

Please help a tired teacher out :slight_smile:
Renee

did you open it in wick to export? if so, then it could be the way school computers work that tampers with downloads, or they completely dont download.
at my school, macbooks “restrict” downloads. it technically downloads, but the category “downloads” is removed. in chrome, a bar at the bottom with all the downloads appear. shrink the window, and drag the download onto the desktop. the downloaded file now appears in “desktop” and easily accessible now.

Hi there,
I’m actually on my own computer. The student uploaded the file to Google Classroom. I tried to copy and paste it to my desktop, but it won’t. Google Classroom is an online feature. How would I open this file in the Wick editor?

In other words, if it’s not downloaded to my computer, how do I open it?
Cheers,
Renee

So I tried what you suggested - dragging the file onto the desktop, and then opening it in the Wick Editor. It won’t open. Hmmm …not sure what to do now. These are the interactive projects that export as HTML, but I can’t see them when students submit them.
Not sure what to do next…
Renee

open wick and then open the file thats how wick saving system works

I have no problem opening my own Wick or HTML files. It’s the files kids submit to me that I can’t seem to open…
Renee

make them export interactive or video files to website called padlet where kids can put their work and sign who posted it. Its also good for presentations hope that helps

I’m currently using google classroom for my school, too, but my school doesn’t use wick : (
It’s because they’re sharing with you the file rather than uploading it, when I open google classroom, it tells me to “add” or “create” and so I don’t think it’s the same as when we “upload” files here…
There’s a way they can send you a private message through Wick Editor and share their file’s would that help?

I’m getting the view that @ProfoundlyAverage’s students are sending HTML files because video export is weird, then uploading them to google classroom. The issue is that you can’t view them. I would imagine that it’s the same download function as sharing via Drive, where the download button is. I think there’s also a way to “view in Drive” or some drive icon button to view in drive, then you can download.

1 Like

@awc95014 you’re a genius! I take everything I said back, there’s no download button, but it pops up when you open the file in a new tab, I’ve tried it on my own files and the download button was there!
it worked and downloaded, and the last step to open a .html file is to open a new tab, click ctrl+o and select the file!

(I tried this on google classroom)

I think that’s it! I think you can also just click on the download and it’ll open right up in a new tab. (chrome downloads)

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 8.15.22 AM

Thank you both - I will try that!
Cheers,
Renee

I am creating a Google Site to showcase my students’ interactive animations. How can I share the .HTML files? I can get the gi to work no problem.

https://sites.google.com/srsnj.org/srs-animation/home

I’ll try to see if there is an option to showcase html.

Right now it seems there isn’t a way. I will get back to you if I do manage to find a way, Kim.

Cleeus_Kernel

Thank you! I am really hoping to get every one excited about using the interactive Wick!

So apparently you have to be in the classic google sites. You have to be in insert and there should be a button that says HTML box. says the first result of my google search, “how to display html in google sites” so it might not be accurate. But this is the closest thing to what you want. I would be able to contact google via gmail but they would probably never reply.

I am wondering how else I might share these games? How are other people doing it? I am open to suggestions. Is everyone who is sharing posting the html on hosted websites? I do own a website I have hosted on Weebly edu. but I can’t FTP the files associated.

I think I am missing something

I decided to open an itch.io account and post the kids games there