Feedback (about Android version) and asking help (I'm beginner)

Hi everyone!

My profile name is Garnet, I am a studentess and I’m beginner. I have a little experience about the program, but I like it very much!
I started to use Wick editor a few week ago, and I think it’s great! I tried the Android app too, and… I think this app is cool! I love it, because it’s simple and easy to use! It looks like Adobe/Macromedia Flash, but if it were modern, free, and would been never discontinued! The graphic is beautiful and the mascot (the little ghost) is so cute! However, I know that developing is not easy, but the Android edition has some little problems: first of all, although it has an eye-friendly theme, the design is a bit uncomfortable, because some elements are put in a small place, at the bottom of the screen, causing the design being un-hand-friendly, and the icons are so small that it makes some configurations harder to do it (f.e.: to set the brush size, to choose the selection mode etc.). Plus the app cannot turn to the horizental view too when the mobile gets in horizental view (gets turned), and this also can be uncomfortable. I don’t want to insult You, don’t misunderstand me, but these things make the Android editon of Wick editor a bit uncomfortable. As I see, the PC version has no problems however. It’s pretty convenient to use it.

But what I really wanted to do is that I have a question: can I make games without coding or at least with fewer coding? Or more precisely: could anybody make a game in it who is not a pro programmer (f.e.: people who are not so talented in coding but want to make their own game). Don’t misunderstand me, I am not lazy to work on anything, and I have always dreamed of making my dream game (because I am a big fan of indie, and specially Flash(-style) games), but sadly I’m not a programming genius. Even a Python code distracts me! I have learned Python in school, and tried to understand it, but sadly the functions, cycles, modules and any other things were always hard to me to understand. I’ve always got distracted when there was cycles, modules and other things. What should I do? How could I learn to code in this? Please give me an advice if You received that.

And yet a last question: is this project still alive? Is this program still in development? This application is so good despite all its problems! That would be sad if it’s not in development anymore, because I think this program would be a worthy successor of Adobe Flash! Not because of the design and modern features, but also the easy using! For me this is more beginner-and user friendly than other animating programs I have met.

Anyway, I don’t know if You will see this post, but I hope I could help with the mentioned problems in the first paragraph. Have a beautiful December! :heart:
Oh, and sorry for the grammar things, I’m not a native English speaker!

1. the wicklets team and CMU (Carnegie Mellon University Entertainment Technology Center) probably might need to work on the mobile version(and they’re still working on the editor, but its taking some time, so bear with them)

2. the editor is based on javascript, more specifically paper.js, but pretty similar. as i am not exactly too familiar with both, im sure javascript might be a little bit more complicated than python, but they are both pretty easy to learn. but im very sure you’ll get the hang of it though.

and yeah, thats that ig. welcome to the forums :)

2 Likes

Thank you for your advise :heartpulse: :heart: :two_hearts:

Hi @Garnet, welcome to the wick community!

Yes, you don’t have to be a pro programmer to make a game in wick.

Just as you’ve said, Wick editor is “beginner and user friendly,” so it should be easier to work with than Python (that’s my opinion at least). Another thing, in addition to the fact that Wick uses javascript, it also has a bunch of extra built-in functions that makes it easier to use!

(Note: This reference sheet, which could also be found inside of the code editor, should be helpful)

I recommend watching a few simple tutorials to get started, you can find some on Luca Damasco’s youtube channel over here (his videos may be a bit old, most might look like the alpha version, but they should still work with the current version), or @Jovanny’s yt tutorials here :)

You can also find more tutorials/ tips here on the forums, in #demos-and-tutorials or by using the search :mag_right:

If there are ever any question(s) you can’t find an answer to, feel free to ask on the forums by creating a new topic with your question(s) :+1:

According to @etcanthony from Carnegie Mellon University’s Entertainment Technology Center, there are plans to improve this software beyond what it currently is. With enough patience and time, I personally believe Wick Editor could be something greater than what it already is :sparkles:

2 Likes

Thank you @Hamzah_Al_Ani very much! This helps me so much understanding the working of Wick editor’s game programming section! I am happy that this great program still in development! Happy holidays and beautiful December!:heart::two_hearts::christmas_tree: :santa:

1 Like