Files won't export for anyone in class

(this is cross-posted to the “Help” section)

Hi, my students are all making animations, and when they try to export, they just get black screens - the sound is there, but nothing else. Please advise. This is happening to all of the students who are trying this. Is this a bug, or are we doing something wrong? (We are all very new to Wick.)

Which version are they using (the test version 1.17) I assume the 1.16.2. Can you provide a bit more info (on the amount of frames, sound etc), it will help Luxapodular or others to help. Perhaps they are using it on their phone??

Yes @ProfoundlyAverage, mind answering a few questions?

1. AAre you able to provide some specs for computers that are having issues?
  2. What browsers are students using?
  3. Can you provide us with a .wick file that is having a problem?
  4. When you say you get black screens, which export method are you using? (.gif, video, images, sound, interactive html, interactive zip?)

Please send back these responses and I’m happy to help.

Hi there,
They are using version 1.16.2
Some students might be using phones, but most will be using laptops. Some will be PC and some will be Macs I think. I can ask and see if any students can tell me what computers they’re using.
I’m pretty sure most students will be using Google Chrome.
I can ask students to provide a .wick file, but I have to wait for someone to respond (class is now over). But I’ll get back to you on that!
We’re exporting as videos - the .wick files have a layer with sound added. I got the sounds from a site called FindSounds.com. I used some of their files yesterday to create an animation (on the same computer, using Google Chrome), and it exported without a problem.

Does that help? I can provide more information later.

Day Into Night with sound4-29-2020_1-59-31PM.wick (154.9 KB)

This is the exercise I was having my kids do, so you can get an idea of the number of frames, etc. In my case, this exported fine.

Ok, this definitely helps.

For students on laptops, I recommend that those students use Google Chrome or Firefox to export their projects. Other browsers may have issues, so just make sure none of them are using Internet Explorer, Edge or Safari by Default! (Mac vs PC should not cause an issue).

As for the output, an issue students may be experiencing is that on some computers we’ve found that exporting could create a “Corrupted” mp4 file. This issue was fixed in 1.17 (test.wickeditor.com). You may recommend students that are having issues try exporting in this version.

The sounds from FindSounds should not be an issue!

Lastly, if students are using phones, phone browsers are not yet optimized to be running wick editor. I’d recommend those students send you a .wick file directly, as opposed to an .mp4, as exporting could potentially be an issue on those platforms.

Happy to help keep debugging. If any students continue to have problems, we may be able to work through their projects individually.