Freezing (please wait...) on Chromebooks

I have about 150 students all learning Wick and I’ve run into this same glitch with about 8 of them. Their screen freezes, so they click save and refresh. Then, when refreshing and loading the “autosaved project” they get this* loading screen indefinitely. Or, they load the saved file and it is many frames short of the work they had completed.

*https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lawd_QfLC_7p23H6yTnBAx2kQ-U7qNa4/view?usp=sharing

Hi @Eleanna_Liscombe, thanks for reporting this issue and welcome to the forum! Would you be able to provide a project that experiences this issue?

Also, does this problem seem to occur when students perform a particular task? (Such as saving/loading/Drawing?)

If the issue persists, a screen recording, or video would be really helpful to figuring out the issue!

@Eleanna_Liscombe I believe I have found a potential issue that can be solved! I’m currently at a school and some students have run into this issue on older versions of Google Chrome! Do you know what version of chrome these students are running?

The easiest way I’ve been able to find the older versions on student’s computers, is by the tab style (This is not fool-proof, but is pretty close)

Old Style Slanted (Needs an upgrade)
Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 12.57.59 PM

New Style Curved (Should be ok, but an update may be necessary).

Once on upgraded browsers, the students were able to continue with little to no issues!

Hello! I don’t have this particular student again until next week, but from the screenshot I shared it appears that he is in the newest version of Chrome. I will share a problematic file ASAP. The problem most often occurs when they upload something to the Asset Library and it will not appear or drag into the canvas. So, we save and refresh. If we load the autosaved version, we get the “please wait…” If we upload our saved file it is missing their most recent work. Thanks!
Eleanna

@Eleanna_Liscombe, Thank you! If you’re able to find the version of chrome this occurs on, and the asset they were attempting to load that will also be super helpful!

Let your student know that we are working on a fix!

I have 3 possibilities for what might happen.

1. the chrome tabs have looked the same for a while, so it’s very hard to tell which version you exactly have. the best way is to see if you have a green, yellow, or red “up” arrow in the toolbar thingy to the right of the search bar and where the extensions would be. if there is, click it and update chrome, which will quit chrome and reopen it.
  2. i have a horrifying experience of crazy slow chromebooks, so maybe it’s just so laggy that it won’t even load the editor. now that we have macbook airs, they are relatively smooth.
  3. the wifi is iffy. whether this is a school or if you have meetings or gatherings, either the school wifi is what most people would expect or having many people at a meeting/gathering slows down the wifi. a quick way to see if you have this is to search “internet speed test” and a test should pop up.

If none of these work, then it’s very likely that it’s a bug.