How to Start a Collab

Hi, I can probably link more than 3 collabs that were closed because they didn’t give the forums more details about their collab (Hey say, maybe there should be a 20 character limit for making a collab? wait, did I say this outloud… just forget I said that! Anyways, let’s get back on topic), therefore, I made this simple thread that (I promise) is easy to use for some people. Just click a step, and you’ll get an example and a little explanation of what you’ll need to have in a collab.

Step 1

Before starting a collab, you’ll need an idea or a theme.
Then make a new topic draft, and make that your title.

Then think about what type of project it is.
Is it an animation? A game? A drawing? An engine? etc.?
Add that to your title.

Example

The Sword in the Stone - Animation
( Name of the project - project type)

Step 2

Step 2 is to let the people know what this collab is about! You can do this by setting a goal! This should be closely related to your title.

Example

"The Sword in the Stone" is an old tale. Here’s a link for those who don’t know the story: [Insert Link]. In this collab, our goal is to make an animation based on this story!
(Some info, then the collab’s goal)

Step 3

Step 3 is easy, you’ll just need to be precise and now when to start the collab, and when to finish it to keep your team more organized!

Example

This collab will start next week on Monday (Feb 15), and will probably end on March, 1st.
(Start time, end time)

Step 4

Now, were on to step four! A collab is easy to set, and you’re almost done!
You’ll just need to think about what type of people should join the collab? Are there any requirements? If not, you can say there’s no requirements, otherwise here’s an example…

Example

To join this collab, you’ll have to claim a job. This is going to be an animation, so here’s the open jobs: Animating, backgrounds, coloring, shading, etc. [insert as many as you might need].

Step 5

Step 5 is probably the easiest, just tell the people how the collab is going to work out!
What files do you guys need to share? Wick files? Any connected external sites you might use? Any references/ preferences?

Example

Since this collab is based on “The Sword on the Stone,” were gonna connect it to the actual story, but might have some twists! Here’s a wick file I made to start off and with information: [Wick File]. Please share a wick file once your done. If the file is ever too big, we can try to share it through google drive or dropbox.

Step 6

Very last step, and easiest, is mentioning who’s gonna keep things in charge so people know who to get help from when needed.

Example

Project Leads: Me and my friend, @Nersion

Here’s the deal, try to finish all of these steps, and your collab is more likely to stay up
(unless if it went against any of the forum rules, then my magic won’t be able to help you)

If anyone has any questions, or is confused about a step, or possibly wants to add or correct a step, then just let me know. Thanks for reading :)

2 Likes

Thank you for this, it is well received.

Just in case:
For the last closed collab, I sent a private message to the creator… For all the collabs that have been closed, the team have notified their originators.

1 Like