Lessons learned from 2 minigames

I made minigames to test the Wick Editor out for an Interactive Animation,

Hello, you might have played the incredible “Don’t click the House” or its predecessor.
You can play the second one here: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/781192

These were both made in the Wick Editor, Desktop version 1.19 to be exact.

Onto what I learned:

• Ignore warnings about adding “editor.$blockScrolling = Infinity” , it’ll stop the game from getting focus/mouse events
  • If Ctrl+Z/hotkey doesn’t work it’s because Caps-lock is on
  • Ctrl+G makes a Movie Clip
  • Double-clicking a Movie Clip/Button opens it
  • Scripts inside a Movie Clip won’t work, except for “stop()”? Probably issues with the this keyword.
  • To access a variable in the main context from a Movie Clip you can use (this.)parent.COMPONENT.variable
  • Use Movie Clips , not Buttons . These didn’t work when I used them for the Doors (with big House Movie Clips behind them)
  • Buttons have 3 frames and 2 (over) is on when testing.
  • Frames aren’t declared until they are reached, meaning you can’t change FRAME.variable in preparation for future runs and expect that FRAME to exist (use project.variable instead of local ones)
  • Remember that the size is 720x480 by default so make sure to change the values to that when adding a project to Newgrounds or you’ll see the things around the frame (like in Flash)
1 Like

Regarding your lessons learned, here are some comments…

(Scripts inside a **Movie Clip** won't work, except for "stop()"? Probably issues with the this keyword.)
They do work , but they are in a different context.

* Use Movie Clips , not Buttons . These didn’t work when I used them for the Doors (with big House Movie Clips behind them)
Probably the Clip was on top of a button… if that so, buttons will not work.

* Frames aren’t declared until they are reached, meaning you can’t change FRAME.variable in preparation for future runs and expect that FRAME to exist
Did you try project.variable instead?

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

They do work , but they are in a different context.
Ah, thanks for confirming.

Probably the Clip was on top of a button… if that so, buttons will not work.
It wasn’t. Turns out that Button has currentFrameNumber at 2 (over) by default, and I was checking if it was < 2 before entering the House, resulting in the cursor changing yet clicking the door did nothing.

Did you try project.variable instead?
I didn’t know there was such an option, I’ll be sure to use it next time. (in this case it was just to check if the Mouse was dead)

Good work answering these questions, one last thing:
Is there an easy way to loop music without using a script?
None of the songs loop on said game because I just added them to the timeline without doing anything else.

1 Like

I mostly do everything through scripting… just put… playSound(“sound.mp3”,{loop:true});

1 Like

Awesome, thanks!
Scripting is nice, but the Godot Engine has a setting on the Import tab for that and I suppose it’s easier for users. It’s also annoying because it enables it for every audio file. :expressionless: