Mozilla Festival Hackathon open to Youth Participants! (Prizes!)

Hi Everyone!

For the last few months I’ve been helping design a Hackathon during Mozilla Festival, a free online event where folks can learn new skills. (Check it out at https://mozillafestival.org).

Participants between the ages of 13 and 21 can submit projects and win a share of $700 in prizes! (Up to $300 per project!) Projects can be made in any type of tool and with any techniques (INCLUDING WICK EDITOR PROJECTS!)

I talk about the hackathon in this video:

Projects are due on March 16th at 11:59PM CET! Individuals under the age of 18 need to have a parent or guardian register for a ticket. Good luck if you decide to join!

6 Likes

Will this be a recurring/yearly thing? This isn’t really in a good time-slot for me.

2 Likes

In the video (13:15) it says ages 16+ go to the first link, and those under will need parent/ guardian permission (and go to the other link).

Just to make sure, is it 16+ or 18+?

1 Like

So to register for a ticket, indivudals under 18 years old need to have parents sign up for a ticket.

In terms of the Slack link shown, to make an account you need to be 16 or older.

So a 16 year old participant needs to have a parent/guardian register for a ticket but can then later make a Slack account on their own (with parent’s permission).

The competition is open to anyone between the ages of 13 and 21 though!

1 Like

@Watrmeln The competition is one time only at the moment! We don’t have plans to run another one soon.

1 Like

Wait Wick Editor is based somewhere near philly too?

2 Likes

can we do a type of animation for this @Luxapodular ?

I would do this but I still dont really understand everything we can do.

I just realized I might not do it because my parents wont let me. I will make a animation for fun and send it here and make it around the lines of someone helping really depressed people and cheering them up but getting depressed himself. the rest is a surprise for when I release it

I think it’s interesting & fun hearing people’s concepts for this contest

so I might as well share mine

For the Hackathon, here’s my concept: I wanna create an animating software

This type of software is an educational one that should help people animate
(it’ll have tutorials and animating lessons too!)

There’s a bit of a twist on this concept since creating a pen tool is impossible in 5 days…
I’ll also have to deal with a lotta lag+bugs
So the results won’t be as good as expected :sweat_smile:

Either way, since I’m weak at animating, creating this can not only help other people, but help me too, which is why I chose this concept :)

Edit: I might change my concept depending on the progress

Make a prototype! No need to create a full-fledged project, but if you make something that works that would be great!

3 Likes

THANK YOU!! I’ll start making the code for the server side stuff but I probably won’t get it working before I have to submit it.

1 Like

Hey everyone! The hackathon is almost over! Don’t worry if your project isn’t done, create a 2 minute video of what you have, what problem it tries to solve, and what you would do in the future, and submit!!!

(To submit you must be over 18 OR have a parent/guardian submit for you. You, or your parent/guardian must also have registered for a ticket to the hackathon at bit.ly/yz-hackathon)

Good luck everyone!

2 Likes

Just wondering, for the 2 minute video, does it have to be shared on youtube?
I shared mine as an mp4 file. Does that work?

Note: I already submitted everything & on time. This is just a question.

I think I seriously screwed up.
I may my parents may have submitted the form from my school account instead of the email I signed up with.

How many people participated?

well i don’t even have a bank account and i will wait until i get a real job