New Roguelike Game: Melon Mines

Melon mines won the vote on which project I should do next, so I have made an update and new post.
Melon Mines10-25-2022_12-51-46.wick (169.5 KB)

Feedback and code help is appretiated

can I help with the art, I was thinking about remaking the art in pixel style for this

Sorry, I was thinking of keeping the art style the same, although I might reconsider since I haven’t made much of the art on wick yet

Speaking of art, here is some concept art for the game.

cool, I can help code some things
the spinning lazers won’t work with how hitboxes work, there is code that fixes this but I can’t seem to get it to work.

@gamer_boi, with the power of clip-ception, you could just sic a box onto a really cool laser sprite in a separate frame, and then just make it turn visible and invisible. that way, when it reaches a certain opacity, it can now damage the player. also, if its supposed to be in a certain way, then you can adjust the hitbox using rotation, or by just turning it. my only thing is making it somewhat of a challenge that makes it a bit satisfying to conquer. to change this, maybe have some type of fast, squishy minion enemy that is either immune to lasers, or has a deeply connected phobia to them. again, this is your game, so i cant dictate your creative freedom. just a suggestion though.(as a weapon, that would be easy, just create a solid beam that justs inferno-something-from-clash-royales enemies over time. i would make it not like a weapon and actually have it like a jet to where it allows you to attack in a beam-like section, but also push you backwards so you just can’t sit somewhere and be done.)

also, the aiming thing is nice, but its hard to aim, move, and shoot. i feel like it would also be pretty cool if you could use ijkl to aim at the same time, or configure controls in general. but this is pretty good, honestly.

2 Likes

For anybody who wants to help out:

• Code
  • Art
  • Music
  • Ideas (enemies, weapons, etc.)

0 voters

The current story:

Melon man lives in a world where all the people are plant people. One day, a bunch of robots attack and kidnap everyone else for unknown reasons. He follows the robots to a mountain, which is where a huge robot mining operation is taking place. He breaks in, fights robots, and goes through different levels of the mine. Most levels focuses on one of the fictional materials I made for my extended universe. The current levels are:

1. Aubalt Mine (Aubalt is a really strong purple metal)
  2. Processing/Conveyors
  3. Garbage Dump (Enemies are robots made of scrap)
  4. Augenium Mine (I really like this one. Augenium is a yellow crystal that turns light into holograms that can interact with things)
  5. Bungium Mine (Bungium is a blue material that makes death lasers and stuff)

There’s more, but it would be too big of a spoiler

I have also decided that Descent, the game I made for the Boi Game Jam, is canon to this universe

1 Like

What if you add the predator mask as a weapon for the robots

elaborate please

New version with wall collision
Melon Mines10-27-2022_14-01-26.wick (289.2 KB)

New Version

If anybody can help reduce lag that would be greatly appreciated