Optimize/Reduce lag on exported projects

What Wick Editor Version are you using?

Describe the Problem
I am currently working on a game that is quite large. (over 400+ scenes, 200+ js lines) and when I sent it to my friends over discord, and almost half of them had issues running the game.

Game speed is tied to FPS. Even when putting the game FPS at 20, it still will run poorly.
And the strangest thing is, one of my freinds can play call of duty black ops 3 on his computer just fine, but then struggles to run my game at even 5 fps.

I a trying the find a way to make projects run better in the browser. Making bigger games has been almost impossible with this limitation.

What have you tried so far?
I researched converting the HTML5 file into a exe file. I had 0 luck doing that because all HTA files on windows still use IE. Which is not capable of running exported wick files.

If anyone even has IDEAS on how get around this please reply to this thread!

I’ll take it that no one knows how to fix this.

Did you send it through .wick or .html?

I guess reducing lag in a file really depends on the content of the file.

Yes, wick projects run really slow by default, and I’m guessing that mostly has to do with Wick’s renderer, and how Wick projects are translated to html (ever seen the page source behind an html project? It’s really long).

There are some tricks though to make a project work faster.

For example:

• Using image files works faster than using large groups of paths
  • Breaking apart non-moving clones is faster than not doing so
  • Breaking apart your project into separate files, combining them into one zip, and referring to variables as window.variable rather than project.variable or object.variable to share variables between the files of that window, should work faster than having one big project (I don’t usually do this, but it sounds like it would work)
1 Like

Thank you! @Hamzah_Al_Ani

1 Like

Hi @pyronode
I’m re-doing a big game of mine, because of that. I’ve been learning a lot on how to improve the editor’s performance. As a conclusion, at the moment, the editor is not good handling vector graphics for games.

What I’m doing is exporting all drawings/vectors as PNGs, and then I crop everything using a 3rd party software. Then, I export every single sprite back to the editor (to the game project)… so I maintain 2 wicks editor projects per game, one for drawings, and one for the actual game.

After doing this, the game flies. The performance is in another level. I was able to put 500+ clips (made with PNGs) at the same time with no lag.

1 Like

Sorry for being inactive. I didnt logon for like a week.
In the game I was working on I had the entire game in one PNG. (i would make the tilemap in photoshop). Then I would create invisible blocks for walls. (they would go over the part of the image which were the walls).

I dont use wick that much anymore. I tried out Construct 3 and liked it alot because it also used javascript. But I still use wick sometimes. Mostly for web graphics on a freinds website. I like how wick is just in the browser, compared to having to open Adobe Animate wich takes like 3 minutes.

Javascript just isnt really made for game dev.

So basically do the same that Godot does on export (convert all vector graphics to PNGs). That’s a good idea as those are way faster but maybe Wick could do it itself.