Place And Destroy Blocks

I’m trying to make game where I can place and destroy blocks, kind of like minecraft. Help? Assets: My Project7-21-2021_9-54-23.wick (12.7 KB)

First you need the world to be represented by a 2D grid. Each item in the 2D grid would be indexed by a 2D position – an x and a y value. You could have each item a number. And each number would represent a different block – 0 would be air, 1 would be stone, 2 would be dirt, 3 would be grass, e.t.c. Or you could have it a different data type, like strings.

For terrain generation, you can use perlin or simplex noise to generate a heightmap for the terrain.

Then, to draw the terrain on screen, you could have a singular clip for the blocks and each frame in the block clip would be for different blocks. Then you would make a clone for each block on screen (determined by the world 2D array) and move the block to the correct position.

Here’s a project I made that demonstrates this: (I used a JavaScript noise library from online)
Use WASD to move the camera, left click to place/destroy blocks
(An optimization I made is that it only renders blocks inside the camera’s view)
mc.wick (17.9 KB)

If you want more help with your project, I think instead of asking for help first, you should try looking for information online. If you don’t understand the information or can’t find any, then you should ask for help.

2 Likes

So good. I really like the camera system (Where you disappear the blocks that are outside of the screen).

2 Likes