Shape tweening

Hello Wick Forums. Is there a way to add shape tweening? And if not, could you guys add it?

What do you use shape tweens for? I think Flash/Animate is the only program that has them. Most people only use them for changing the color of a shape, since they’re typically too broken for other purposes.

Well, one, coloring would still be useful, and I’m mainly thinking of using it for lip sync.

Ok, interesting use, don’t know if I’ve seen that before.

The most common way to do lip syncing is this way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQIZLn_zng
So in Wick you’d draw several mouth shapes, with one shape per frame inside a clip. Then using the test branch at test.wickeditor.com you can select any single frame of a clip and it’ll display that mouth.

Sorry if that’s a little confusing, I’ll make a better tutorial for it in the future.

I do that now, but it doesn’t really transition to one-another. With shape tweening, wouldn’t it sorta transition from pose-to pose?

ideally a shape tween could do anything you want, but in reality they don’t know what you want so the end result looks glitchy. There are some complex modern programs that can do inbetweens (transitions) properly, but they’re specialized and take years to develop.

For transitioning between mouth shapes, you can:

1. draw transition frames in the mouth clip
  2. or you can motion tween the mouth clip on the main timeline when in between key “poses”

I think I’d do the 2nd since it’s easier, but it doesn’t looks as good as the 1st.

I want to do inbetween, but dialogue is too fast to really do anything.

And tweening is gonna look ugly in my opinion.

Here are my ideas.

Shape tweening is perfectly fine for small items like if you wanted to shape-shift a circle to a square or ease color-changing or something like that, but gets messy the more complex it gets. if shape tween can’t be done, color tweening would ease color and not shape.

path tweening would be pretty nice if you could draw out a path for the tween to go instead of a straight line.

combo-ing both of these options, you would be able to shape tween (or color tween if shape tween doesn’t work) an item while going on a path.

to make it work out in my view:

• you use the same tween button
  • path tweening is the new classic tween, but the default path is straight like it normally is.
  • you can shape tween by clicking “edit shape tween” in a tweened frame to open a new editor that contains only that frame, and you can go nuts with whatever you do.
    the reason for this is so that the editor doesn’t mix up shape tween with path tween in the normal menu where you can change where the beginning and end goes
  • if shape tween isn’t possible, you can still open a color tween menu, but when you click on things, the only thing you can change is color.

Well all I’m thinking is one mouth to another.

I know, but there are other reasons to have shape tweening.

Yea, it’s a good idea.

One thing: dont use shape tweening until its the only method left you have.

Your opinion isn’t the only one that matters, y’know? Some of us want to use shape tweening.

This is what Alan Becker said in his video about shape tweenings in flash/animate

Again, people have opinions. And well yes, Alan Backer is a good animator, he’s not the only person that has an opinion. I want to use shape tweening!

Not added yet

Ok, how about we make a compromise.
Alan Becker is a good animator, and it makes sense not to use shape tweening. However, it should still be an option to have the ability to use it. Of course, my abomination reply is based on a person who basically has no idea how shape tween is done or what flash already does, so everything I said can probably be thrown out the window. Depending on the complications of the mouth, it may or may not work out well. I’m not saying it 100% won’t work though.

In the end, all of you from the beginning of this conversation to now are correct. Just… we gotta wait and see.

yeah youre right :v

I would like it as an option as well. My students like changing the letters of their name into shapes. It’s just a fun option. thanks