Some Wick Editor Alternatives

WARNING! THIS POST IS LONG!

The Wick Alternative List

For those wanting to move from Wick Editor to a different animation program, especially if you want a more frequently updated alternative, I've compiled a few options I've used in the past. There's obviously more, but I have not tried them yet.

Desktop Applications (Windows, MacOS and Linux)

By Linux, I mean anything like ChromeOS (through the Linux container being enabled), Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, and Linux Mint.

Free

Freeware

• Vectorian Giotto (Windows Only. Linux and Intel Macs through WineHQ.)
    Clone of Adobe Animate that has been discontinued. However, it’s much more stable than Wick Editor itself. I guess that’s something.

• Pivot Animator (Windows Only. Linux and Intel Macs through WineHQ.)
    This goes out to all the stick figure animators in the house!

Free AND Open Source Alternatives

• OpenToonz (Windows/Mac/Linux)
    This one has a bunch of effects that I have yet to try. I’ve been using it for a good while and I enjoy every faucet of it that I’ve utilized.
    Studio Ghibli has used Toonz, the older, closed-source version, to animate their films in the past. They tweaked it and made it open source, so now you can use the same software that Studio Ghibli used to animate Spirited Away and The Boy and the Heron. This won’t make you as skilled as them, though.
  • Blender (Windows/Mac/Linux)
    Two words: Grease Pencil.
  • Krita (Windows/Mac/Linux/Android)
    This is a drawing program, but it can also animate.
    There is also an official mobile version for tablets, but it really, really sucks.

Abandonware Alternatives

These are technically free, but I'd still suggest using something else. Just in case the developers will try to sue you for it. Unless you own some of these programs, then go right ahead.
  • Macromedia Flash (Pre-CS3 Adobe Animate versions) (Windows Only. Linux and Intel Macs through WineHQ.)
    If you know every nook and cranny of Wick Editor, you’ll love these versions of Adobe Animate! I’d suggest you use version 8, since that has filters and some other features you might want.
    Shameless plug, but I have compiled all these versions to make installation easier. It’s called FlashPack, and you can download it here. Just know that you’ll need WinCDEmu to mount the ISO. Make sure to read the description and the included readme.

Paid

All of these have free trials.

• This one’s obvious: Adobe Animate (Windows/Mac) (formerly Flash).
    Stay away from buying it if you don’t like monthly subscriptions. Adobe Animate is also kind of buggy, but it’s more well-put together than Wick Editor nowadays. Instead, use Macromedia-branded versions, which I have listed above.
  • Adobe Photoshop (Windows/Mac/Linux through WineHQ) Yes, you can animate in Photoshop. Unfortunately both this and Adobe Animate are part of the Creative Cloud, a monthly subscription.
    If you go to a public school, especially one in New York, you get this for free until you graduate.
  • Toon Boom Harmony (Windows/Mac)
    This one has a perpetual license that you can buy outright, but depending on which version you choose, it’s going to cost as much as a new gaming rig. If you are planning to start an animation studio, buy the perpetual license or use OpenToonz or Adobe Animate.
    I’ve used a cracked version, and it’s pretty good from what I’ve done with it. Not something I’d see myself using as a daily driver, though.
  • TVPaint (Windows/Mac/Linux) It was used in Song of the Sea (along with Moho) and Wolfwalkers. That’s all I have to say.
  • Moho (Windows/Mac) (formerly Anime Studio)
    It has two versions: Moho Pro ($399.99) and Moho Debut ($59.99). Only one of these has more features than the other. Can you take a guess as to which one?

Mobile Applications (e.g. Android, iOS/iPadOS)

Free

• FlipAClip (Android/iOS/iPadOS)
    Good as a starting point, bad if you don’t have much patience and don’t want to pay for features that every animator needs.
  • ibisPaint X (Android/iOS/iPadOS)
    Currently, audio isn’t supported. I’m fine with this, as animators back in the day used things like X-Sheets and such to do lip-sync and added in audio (e.g. voice, music, sound effects) during the editing process. I’m sure that audio support will be added sometime in the future.
    You have to pay for higher resolutions. However, if you know what a modded APK is, then I’m sure you’ll find a way.
  • Mooltik (Android/iOS/iPadOS)
    Relatively new animation software. I’ve used it a bit. Although it needs a bit more features, it’s good enough so far. and did i mention that it’s open source

Paid

• Procreate Dreams (iOS/iPadOS) (both are $12.99)
    I believe Procreate still has animation capabilities, but Procreate Dreams, the newer one, has better tools to get the job done.

Websites/Web Apps/Whatever you call them

• Scratch (also a standalone app for Windows, MacOS and Android)
    This is the only one I’d recommend. Just don’t add any curse words if you plan to put your animations on the actual site, OK?

I don’t know where to place this list, so I put in this category. Sorry.

2 Likes

vecorian giotto is probably the closest thing were gonna get to flash for free

(also if people are trying to install vecorian giotto and the file its giving you is named only “file”, turn on file name extensions if you havent, and put “.exe” at the end)

1 Like

Just updated the link to be the old, official website. Clicking Get Giotto should do the trick!