Stacker game devlog

i’m guessing you are talking about these on both sides.

in multiplayer, these would be used for, well, multiplayer reasons. the left side shows how much garbage you are about to receive. so here, there’s a red line 4 blocks tall in the left thing, and when i receive that garbage i get 4 lines of garbage.
garbageLines

the right side can be used for something else. one example would be to indicate level or lines cleared. so if cleared 7 lines out of the 10 lines needed to advance to speed level 2, the right side would be 70% full.

so those 2 columns are there in case i need them at a later time, and if they don’t need to be used, they won’t be.

2 Likes

so, i kinda half-succeeded and gave up.

i was trying to work on the zone, which is a mechanic from Tetris Effect. if you press a button, you can activate the zone and line clears accumulate like in the gif below. when you reach the top, all the lines clear at the same time.

there are a few minor bugs, like when you are supposed to “die” and clear the zone lines, it allows you to play one more piece. you can see it in the gif actually. there’s 2 T pieces (purple) in a row, and the first one should have stopped the second from spawning but it didn’t. i was allowed to place it still.

also it shouldn’t contribute to the line count. (that shouldn’t have been too hard of a fix, maybe)

zone_demonstration

not sure if I will release the html for this cuz it doesn’t exactly work properly. i think now is about a good time to transition to another game that i’ve been thinking about, or maybe i’ll return yet again to update this. (maybe i’ll start during the summer)

1 Like

preview of something i’m working on now… trying to do multiplayer, so here’s some garbage mechanics. (im using the keyboard to inject lines to myself as a test)

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter

2 Likes

nice, like preparing this for a multiplayer game…

here’s a pretty exciting update!

you can’t see the garbage queue yet (that should come soon hopefully), but you can send and receive lines now. you cannot cancel lines yet (defend against incoming garbage by attacking), but that is in the plan.

this actually does not use SomeoneElse’s websocket code, but it is powered by a replit server.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter (1)

1 Like

multiplayer is, done? feel free to test it out along with me!

so basically, what happens now is you clear lines to attack/defend. there’s a one-second cooldown between being sent garbage and having it be able to attack you (so you can react). garbage is dim red when you cannot be hurt by it, and it is bright red when you can.

when sending garbage you attack every player online cuz i’m lazy right now, which means that any more than 4 players is essentially chaos.

attack table is as follows.

SINGLE - 0
     DOUBLE - 1
     TRIPLE - 2
       QUAD - 4

SPIN SINGLE - 2
SPIN DOUBLE - 4
SPIN TRIPLE - 6

ALL CLEAR - +10

there are no combos or back-to-backs because i’m lazy lol

you can press “R” after you die to instantly revive, cuz why not

Stacker multiplayer1-4-2024_20-49-11.html (3.2 MB)

if i decide to make more changes, i might do a proper home screen, better UI, and customizable controls. i would make opponents visible but i think that would get very hard and slow, very fast.

1 Like

I’ll take a look in within 2 hours… Is this online multiplayer or local.

online multiplayer, but you can’t tell if others are online unfortunately… you only know when you receive garbage. i hope to make opponents visible but i’ll have to see what i can do.

I’m playing… I left. It works pretty well. Congrats, great game, and beautiful graphics.

looks like it works pretty well then! i’ll try to add opponent previews now and hopefully it will work.

1 Like

websocket has been doing some funny stuff lol

• you cannot use wick-specific code inside of a websocket event handler thing, because it will not understand what it means. this INCLUDES calling an outside function that uses wick-specific code lol. so when adding SFX to the garbage sending, i had to make workarounds because i could not use playSound() when receiving a lines message from the server.
  • if i remember correctly, SomeoneElse’s server was able to be kicked on when someone tried to join the server. so the Replit is usually turned off cuz of inactivity or disconnection or something, but magically if you connected to the server it would automatically turn the server on. i literally have no idea how that works and i can’t get it to work with my new server code.

anyways, i will try some more with the multiplayer thumbnails a little later, but i did add sound effects (will release along with the multiplayer thumbnails).

… but you receive an event that runs at your client… you are suppose to be able to call playSound()… I was able to hear line sounds yesterday… or do you want the other person to hear my lines? What about using WickSound?

https://forum.wickeditor.com/t/music-player-wicksound-class

the console will complain that playSound is not defined here. i have to use playSound outside of the websocket event.

i think there’s 2 ways to write a websocket event, so maybe the other way will work… i might try later.

What is the context of those lines? WickClip, Frame, Project? Also, you sound asset doesn’t have the extension… (like .mp3) just in case…

that’s in a frame. i removed the extension in the audio name so that’s why i don’t have them there.

i think it’s done!!!

you should see multiplayer thumbnails when other players are online. however, they only appear when the opponent places a piece cuz… i’m lazy to fix it…

also, the thumbnails are MASSIVELY simplified because, well, think of the number of clips the game would need to have. (and think of the work i’d need to do… ick)

here’s a video demonstration. realistically the max players would be, like, 4, but it is expandable to 20 or 30 players before it overflows past the edges. i could make them resize better but i can’t be bothered right now.

so uh, have fun! unfortunately the replit server has to be manually turned on my me if it ever disconnects, so currently it will NOT connect online if someone tries to join and the server is off. but on the off-chance it is on, you are free to make multiple tabs and give it a try.

Stacker multiplayer1-6-2024_18-05-25.html (3.4 MB)

3 Likes

Anyways, here’s an updated overview of the game…

Clear lines in this stacker game legally distinct from Tetris to attack your opponents. Your opponents will send garbage lines back to you so be careful and don’t reach the top of the board!

Controls

Key Action
move left
move right
X rotate clockwise
Z rotate counterclockwise
shift rotate 180 degrees
soft drop
space hard drop
C hold
R restart (when dead)

Attack Table

Clear Lines
Single 0
Double 1
Triple 2
Quad 4
Spin Single 2
Spin Double 4
Spin Triple 6
All Clear +10

no combos or back-to-back…

Features

• core features from modern stackers
    • extra additions to SRS, with O-spins and better S and Z rotations
    • all-spins
  • sound effects from Tetra Online
  • line clear effects (all other effects are turned off)
  • multiplayer, with very simplified opponent thumbnails

Play

Remember that my Replit server has to be on for you to connect and see opponents. So there is a 99.99% chance you will not be able to play online. To be sure, you can open the console and see all the WebSocket errors, or open multiple tabs of the game (place a few pieces in each instance first).

Also, remember that you can just press R to reset when you die.

Stacker multiplayer1-6-2024_18-05-25.html (3.4 MB)

5 Likes

It works great, wow… you did it. well done.

2 Likes

This is so cool! Fantastic work!

4 Likes

What? Is this a ghost? Luxapodular!

2 Likes