Wicky Adventures 1.2 Now in Development

Here is my second wickEditor game demo: Wicky Adventures (Demo)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18TL8oJoyGro7cF83PsxH0zbenE7SjmiB/view?usp=sharing

WackyPic

Here is the project:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14F9c7v0GMlTxkJf1q0FcvWPSCKFIGYME/view?usp=sharing

Every pixel was made using the WickEditor. The music is free to use from Youtube Audio Library. Every line of code was made in WickEditor. I hope you can enjoy this demo as much as I do. God bless you all.

5 Likes

Wow, it really is amazing! Alotta time
was put in, and it sure is worth it !
:star_struck:

(You’re a great animator :slight_smile: )

It’s a great game! Love the graphics too! It is a bit slow though. Do you think it’s because of lag?

I started 2 weeks ago… 14 days in total, 70hrs. I would do it faster next time, since during this development I learnt some tricks.

Question: Did you were able to finish the demo by defeating the boss?

Thank you!
First time that someone tells me that! Thank you… I was expecting something more related to the programming skills. haha…

Thank you. awc95014!!!

That is a great question… I have some theories, but there is a lot going on… I can name a few… (Adding @Luxapodular )

[1] It is running in a web browser, but for some reason, if you play it directly in the Editor, the performance is a little bit better. I do have a good solid state Macbook Pro with a lot of processing power and RAM, so it is not my PC. I’m not sure how much memory my MAC assigns to one Chrome tab. That should be one of the problems.

[2] Everything was made using vector graphics. The benefit of the vector graphics is that no matter how much you scale them, you would see them crisp and nice. The downside is that it requires the computer processing/memory to do more math and process more things. I’m pretty sure that if I convert everything to PNGs, the game would perform at 30 FPS, which is the target FPS for this game demo.

[3] Cloning existing objects. In order for me to have more than one bullet, coin, block, enemy on the screen I had to create a main object (not at run time), then hide them in the black border, and then clone them for the game. Because of that, my game has several objects hide behind the scenes consuming small amounts of memory or processing. In Adobe Flash, I used to create a Clip, and then erase it from the scene, since Flash stored them into a library so then you could attach them at run time when needed. In this way I didn’t had to hide objects in the scene. This is something that the WickEditor developers should strongly consider to implement.

I lost with 20 coins (I was near the end of the screen when the dark ghosts came in).
Just wondering, how do u get the power- ups?

Just wondering, when the cloned object leaves the screen, does it delete itself?

@Hamzah_Al_Ani, Not automatically, you have to implement that. (but yes in this case, I put code in every clone object to remove() themselves when they were not in use.)

1 Like

Within the breakable blocks, they randomly throw coins and PowerUps these red orbs.

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 10.03.20 PM
The powerUps will increase the bullet effectiveness and speed.

1 Like

Could you please verify this version… I made some updates, It should improve the performance a little.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18TL8oJoyGro7cF83PsxH0zbenE7SjmiB/view?usp=sharing

Still pretty laggy. It’s either the background of the game or my computer. I’m using a 2015 MB Air so that could be part of it.

It shouldn’t be your pc, its still very laggy in mine. It is related to the html export, since the demo runs a lot better in the Editor. I’ll be sharing the wick file later today.

1 Like

@Hamzah_Al_Ani @awc95014
Here is the wick project… for some reason the performance is better on the editor… I still lag in some places, but you should noticed the difference.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14F9c7v0GMlTxkJf1q0FcvWPSCKFIGYME/view?usp=sharing

Also, let me know if any of you is able to complete the demo…

2 Likes

EDIT:

I finally found out how to defeat the cowblock king!

Spoil alert: I had to hit the red thing to damage him.

2 Likes

This game is so cool! I think that some of the hitTest improvements we’re planning for 1.19 will really increase the performance.

Overall, great work!

3 Likes

haha, At last!!! Good. I hope you liked it. Thank you for playing it until the end.

1 Like

After reading this post, I sat down and wrote my custom hitTest… but the performance is similar… do you have something else/better that I could try?

I don’t understand the code.