WIP Chess Game

All of a sudden I have an urge to make a chess game. Here is my progress: chess.html (2.3 MB)

I am planning to add multiplayer but for now it is just local multiplayer. It has just the basics for now, but later I’m planning on adding everything else. You drag and drop your pieces onto the permitted squares. Don’t try to move a pawn on the edge because it will crash the game.

Here is the source for anyone wondering: Chess.wick (237.7 KB)

5 Likes

Nice! I tried to do a check mate, but it seems that part is still on progress right?

Yes, you can only move and capture. There is no promoting or castling or en passant, or other chess rules that I did not know about. You can read the to-do list in the engine frame to see what will come next. The list is not ordered.

Got it, I just played the html version.

This is a great start! The way it highlights spaces you can move to is a really nice feature.
On a side note, do you think you’ll want any help with graphics?

1 Like

Well I’ve already finished the hard part of the graphics… But if I need additional help then I will ask you.

2 Likes

Same here… let me know if you need something.

that’s really nice
you could add match annotation

Wow, well done!
The chess game looks amazing :+1:

Update i was procrastinating which is why it took 2 weeks

I added checks, checkmating, and castling. I also improved the UI and fixed the game crashing when you drop a piece outside the board and when “promoting a pawn” (in quotes because I didn’t actually add that yet)

If you want to see checkmating in action do this:

1. f3 e5
  2. g4 Qh4#
    (i think i got the notation right)

almost forgot the html version: chess.html (2.3 MB)

Source for anyone wondering how I made it: Chess.wick (240.2 KB)

1 Like

is that when the game says whatever you did was a great move or a blunder? i’m never going to add that since then i’d have to make chess game analysis or something and that’s going to be really hard

well the software may just make a list of both players moves
it could be used later to make a player that shows the game for study purpose
human annotation comprehend also evaluation of the moves but it’s pretty difficult to program

yeah i was planning to make that

How about notation for checks as well?

Update i added en passant and promotion, now you can play an actual game of chess with all the rules. I just gotta add match history, some sounds, and rematch, resign, stalemate, and takeback buttons and then I’ll basically be finished. If there are any rules that I missed or bugs that you found, please tell me.

(i’m scared of adding match history because i need it to scroll :scream:)

Chess.wick (253.3 KB)
chess.html (2.4 MB)

2 Likes

@bluecake do you think you could make background art for the game? for now it’s just a gray background

make it an image file, also make the image resolution fairly small enough, because bigger resolutions make the project laggier
and have the main color gray like the current background

Sure, I can make something. I know it should be gray, but is there a certain kind of pattern or image you think would look good? It would help me get started if I had a few ideas, I could brainstorm some on my own, but I’d want it to be something you’d approve of.

Well I was thinking that every part of the image would look similar to any other part, something repeated but not necessarily a pattern. An idea I had was a bunch of wavy lines but that always comes up when I think of something like this. Another better idea I had was the outlines of a bunch of chess pieces orientated diagonally in a zig-zag pattern. Do you have any other ideas?

I think I’ll start by sketching some of those…when you mentioned gray, I thought of something like marble or maybe a cloudy sky…but I like the chess piece silhouettes idea, it seems the most closely related to the game’s concept. I can create several sketches exploring different ideas though.