Flash movieclip behaviour for Wick editor clip

Has this feature been suggested before?
Yes, sorry. After re-checking I found a similar post (of myself!) describing this.
Don’t know how to delete this post…

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
No

Describe the solution you’d like
When I make a clip and create some copies the copies will not reflect changes that I make to the original clip. This behaviour is fine, but sometimes I want the changes to the original to be reflected in the copies (just like a “component” in CAD).
Example:
If I have 100 trees on the stage that do not move with the wind and I make a change to the “original tree” so it moves, I don’t want to manually copy this new treetype to all the other trees. I want “component behaviour” so the changes are reflected to all the trees of the same “type”.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
The only alternative solution I can think of is to replace the “old” copies by the new one by hand.

Additional context
In Adobe Flash this behavior was default for a movieclip.
Extra functionality in flash related to this behavior:
If the Movieclip came from a library file and you placed a new version of this Movieclip into this library file, this new version would be visible in all .swf files that used this library file.

2 Likes

I believe SWF files use the Actionscript coding language. And also Adobe Animate (rebranded version of Adobe Flash) has an option to select the platform type of the project (Actionscript 3.0 and HTML5 are the options). I have tried to research what the Wick editor uses as a platform type and received no results so I assume it uses HTML5 (correct me if I’m wrong).

You are correct, but that’s not the point of my question. It’s about the difference in behavior between the movie clip in Flash and the Clip object in Wick.

It sounds like updating a linked file.