Lunar lander WIP game

I’m making this game I call lunar lander. lunarlander.wick (970.2 KB)

Aw shoot I can't put the html in an iframe

lunar lander.html (3.3 MB)

Don’t press the next button on the last level since it will crash the game

If you want to help me make levels for the game:

How to make levels

If you want to add your own levels to this game, that is quite easy.

Each level is held inside a frame. The levels start from frame 10 and onwards. So first you need to reserve a frame for your level in the “level” layer.

Then you need to use the line tool to create the terrain. Preferably use line thickness 12 since that is what I used. Anything that is not a line will not be added into the level data.

Also, be careful when drawing your lines. If you accidentally draw your line in the wrong direction the game will think it’s facing the opposite direction. If you want your line to “face” upwards, draw from left to right. If you want your line to “face” downwards, draw from right to left. If you accidentally draw your line to “face” the wrong direction, you can flip it 180 degrees and it will fix it.

Different line colors equal to different types. I used the pre-defined palette that appears in the spectrum color thing. Their mechanics are explained in level 4.

The terrain of the level has to be in a clip called “terrain.” If it is named wrong or you didn’t make it a clip, the game will error.

There also has to be a clip named “cratePos”. This is used to determine where the crate will spawn. The crate will spawn above the clip. The look of the clip doesn’t matter, as the game only needs its positional data. You can make the clip an empty frame and it should show up as a crosshair.

To export the level, select the terrain clip and press ctrl+e. That will export it as a .wickobj.

Earlier versions

lunarlander_v1.wick (49.1 KB)

4 Likes

Yeiii, I could complete the mission! I loved the inertial FXs of the crate.

lunarComplete

2 Likes

Thanks. I remember it took me a long time to figure out how to do the crate physics because I didn’t quite know what I was doing.

1 Like

Great game!
Everything was perfect, well coded, and well done!

Kinda difficult for me to complete the first level, but still worth it

3 Likes

Nice work! Love that thruster effect.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I made several changes. I changed the physics a bit for the better, and I added 3 more levels and a new mechanic. I also added a timer and made the game window bigger…

lunarlander_v2.wick (970.2 KB)

3 Likes

I took a look to your code, and… I learnt a lot from it. Thank you for sharing it.
(I’m kind of new in JS world…)

2 Likes

I didn’t use a lot of advanced techniques in the project. The only ones I can think of is the old way of defining classes using functions instead of class { ... }, usage of the of keyword (I guess?), Object.defineProperty, the arguments keyword, and Function.apply which I just searched up how to call a function with an array of arguments. Wait actually that’s quite a few advanced techniques.

2 Likes

Yup… I was exactly talking about that… the function.objects and prototypes. That is new for me. Its a matter of preference, I prefer to design what my class will contain and then create the class, using the “class” because of how I do it in other languages… For me it is not an “old way”, or maybe for js it is. Regardless, I have more options and flexibility on implementing objects in js. I like to learn. Thank you!

2 Likes

I asked my little sister to try to beat the game and it took her one hour to beat the first level

3 Likes

Wow, game plays pretty smoothly. Nice addition of the sound effects!

2 Likes

I was looking through old we projects and this was the first that appeared, its a really good game, its really hard tho and is really challenging.

It’s a pretty cool game but it’s been 2 years too :| Im tired of seeing old posts considered new due to a person who's reply was new