Making Homestuck like animations with wick?

Hello.
So ive been looking for a flash-like animation software to make animations for my MSPFA (MS Paint Fan Adventure)

For those who don’t know, Homestuck is a webcomic that features several animated and interactive panels. here are some examples

also is thara a condition to check what frame of an objects timeline it is currently

Wick seems to have almost everything i need to replicate this style of animation, Although I have a few questions about wicks functionality.

• is is possible to lock set one object’s x and y position to anothers using scripts?
  • can one image have multiple different, costumes that I can switch between while playing a tween.
    *are there global variables?
  • is there a way to temporarily change that layer that something is on.

Yes. I forgot exactly how, but it’s possible.

It’s called a sy- er I mean clip, and you can set a specific frame for a clip in a tween. Unless I’m dumb and I’m confusing Wick with Flash again.

Uh… can you elaborate more on this one? I’m a little confused.

so like say a character is holding something. whaterver there holding would have to go between their arms. and if they were to drop it It would have to apper on the layer in front of them.

Well, there’s no way to switch layer depth in Wick, but there’s a workaround: You create one layer for when the object’s in the front, and another for when that object’s in the back

Here’s how:

1. Give a name for both of your objects. For this example, I’ll name the first object OBJ1 and the second OBJ2 (assuming that you want to lock OBJ2's x and y to OBJ1).
  2. Select OBJ1 and add an “update” script to the object.
  3. In the update script, write this code:
OBJ2.x = OBJ1.x;
OBJ2.y = OBJ1.y;

^ This code sets OBJ2's to the same x and y position of OBJ1

That should do the trick :)

Yes that’s possible. Each clip/ button/ object has its own timeline— if you select the object and click “edit timeline” you’ll get to enter the object’s timeline and add new frames (“costumes”). Also, a quicker way to enter an object’s timeline is by just simply double clicking the object, and you can double click the background to exit an object’s timeline quickly ;)

If you want a variable that can be used throughout your project, either make a variable that is connected with your project

project.variableNameHere

Or make a variable connected with your window

window.variableNameHere

Window variables are quite nice. Once you make one, you don’t need to write “window.” in front to use it again.

An example of both:

project.counter1 = 5;
window.counter2 = 7;

project.counter1 += 1;
counter2 +=1;

If you’re trying to create an animation, then I would recommend going with @glottisfandango method here. Otherwise, if you’re trying to make a game or something, then you can use pumpkinhead’s layers functions.

This code works for objects that are on the same layer, so you can have your objects on different layers.

Another thing, with the example that you mentioned—

You can also use clones. When a clone is creating, it automatically is in front of other objects, and since the object the player holding and the one that falls are the same, but act differently, cloning the object and giving the cloned object gravity could work nicely.
If you don’t know how clones work though this might be a harder method to use.