Platformer Engine 2.-2.1

Yep. -2. It’s still in beta, that’s why. Not sure if -2 is enough. I’m sure it’ll work out.

Please, please, please, PLEASE don’t steal my work - at least give me credit. I know the Wick community is usually nice but I want to stress that this is my work. I worked hard on just getting one part done. All code is 100% original, so there was no looking up for code to copy/paste.

Currently, there are only semisolids. If it surprises you, semisolids are probably easier than normal blocks. I think slopes might be doable (as in I can find a way to do it), but we’ll see. I will try adding a few enemies too.

platformer engine 2.-2.18-30-2020_9-59-34AM.wick (5.9 KB)

2 Likes

I should also mention that in the default tab of the player, many things are customizable. Beware of midair jumps though. I check if the y velocity is 0 before allowing jumping, so some settings could allow that.

i shall respect your rights :P

I was genuinely proud of it… until my mom trashed it on:

1. lack of detail
  2. bad physics (“when it’s half off the block it should fall off”)
  3. the concept of semisolids
  4. very few features
  5. lack of functions and classes

The only things I agree with are 4 and 5 because the lack of detail allows for other people using the engine to change things to what they want. (Normal) platformer physics are more or less very similar to what I made. Semisolids… are semisolids. I’m already going to add more features and turn things into functions.

oof tough luck. i like it though! especially the jump.

Alotta people trash my work (you guys should see my file of fails :speak_no_evil:)

Your project might look basic, but it’s what’s inside that matters
(in this case, it’s ur knowledge of physics)

It’s still a good thing that people say what they think of ur work with honesty

I have another thing to add to your list of trashes on. Why is the player collision inside every block instead of inside the player? It would make a lot more sense if the collision code was inside the player. And it would be easier to maintain since the code is only in one place.

Very… um… :stuck_out_tongue:

I did actually put the collisions inside of a frame after I put that version out. It’s not in the player because it should be able to interact with enemies too.

@awc95014 This is so cool! We’ve got some hit test improvements that might make this even better scheduled for 1.19 so hopefully those help! Amazing work!

From spending quite some time printing Clip objects to the dev console and reading their properties, I learned that you can write Clip.activeFrame._children to get all children of a Clip. You can also write Frame._children to get all the stuff inside a frame.