Broaden Accessibility With Device-Specific Formatting

Being online-based and independent of adobe flash player, Wick can be accessed through browsers on both mobile and desktop devices. So, by devoting customized user interfaces to different screen sizes, the website would be more accessible as a whole.
This post is written from the perspective of an Apple customer, thus mobile experiences for possessors of Android devices–or any other kind–may not have the same happenings. If you have used Wick through a non-Apple, mobile device, or if you have something else to add, leave a reply. You can also find other perspectives at the bottom of this post.

*Screen Fitting
Here’s why we need this. If you were to open Wick on a tablet–in my personal experience at least–though the homepage loads and fits nicely, launching the editor brings you to a shrunken interface nuzzled in the corner of the screen. Getting it to encompass the screen can be done, but comes at the sacrifice of not being able to resize your canvas.

Similar Discussions:

*Exporting
Exporting a video, file, etc. with desktop Wick is incredible simple, whereas doing so on mobile isn’t so straightforward. Take a video export for example, as always you are presented with the sharing options of messages and mail. However, outside of that, my only other options were Dropbox and files. Though these are both valid options, neither of them are guaranteed to be on every (apple) mobile device: files can be deleted; Dropbox requires download. If “Save to Photos,” for example, was offered, videos would be at the users disposal much easier.

Similar Discussions: Saving Projects

*Saving Unfinished Projects/Animations
Saving an unfinished project on desktop downloads a file–a standard thing to do with a computer. However, it doesn’t make as much sense on a mobile device. A mobile app or project library managed through an account might solve this problem, but I do recognize that those might not be on the radar anytime soon. Just something to keep on the backburner

Similar Discussions: Cloud Saving System, Mobile Friendly Website

Android-user Perspective(s)

Quote by: @Barfy
I tried using Wickeditor on my android and it worked okay it just had some things that wouldn’t work.

1. Resizing and moving objects: the only way to change the size or move an object is to edit it in the inspector
  2. Changing what text says: I can edit the text properties and colors but i couldn’t change what the text actually said
  3. Scrolling the timeline:This one is a major one because i couldn’t scroll or edit any frame past the scroll bar
  4. Zooming in: Whenever I tried zooming in to the frames it became very glitchy and I couldn’t paint or draw and the only way to fix it was to refresh the page

Hey @BreakTheIcing, we totally agree with the device specific formatting suggestions and comments. We’ve been thinking about this for a very long time, and we were trying to find a way to accomplish a lot of this with the current implementation of Wick Editor. We found it incredibly difficult to adapt the current implementation, so we’ve decided to begin working on a new and improved engine/editor. We haven’t given too many updates on this yet, as it’s still in very early pre-alpha development, but we’ll hopefully be able to share some info soon.

In short, the next major update for Wick Editor should make all of these things possible, and more! (Other than cloud saving, which we are definitely thinking about as well. That’s a whole other animal!)

1 Like

Awesome! Would the editor still be online based?

Yep the editor will still be online based and completely free and open source :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I tried using Wickeditor on my android and it worked okay it just had some things that wouldn’t work.

1. Resizing and moving objects: the only way to change the size or move an object is to edit it in the inspector
  2. Changing what text says: I can edit the text properties and colors but i couldn’t change what the text actually said
  3. Scrolling the timeline:This one is a major one because i couldn’t scroll or edit any frame past the scroll bar
  4. Zooming in: Whenever I tried zooming in to the frames it became very glitchy and I couldn’t paint or draw and the only way to fix it was to refresh the page
1 Like

@Barfy
Thank you for sharing! I’ve updated the first post to include your contribution. :grinning:

1 Like