Bit of a PSA about the minimum character limit and filler phrases

note, this is not meant to target anyone. I’m not a mod either. this is simply my opinion. (which Jovanny confirms as expected.)

If you don’t know already, there’s a 10 character minimum for posts. I can’t just post “ok” as a reply because it’s too short. So a few people use fillers to exceed the minimum.

examples
  • bottom text
  • [insert spam emojis]
  • [insert hidden text thing]
  • <.!-- --> (empty html comment without the period)

OK, sure. It works. There’s a limit, you go past it with random words and that sort. But consider the fact that the 10 character minimum is there in the first place. The limit isn’t there to just be passed with “bottom text”.

If you want to say “ok” or “yes” or “sure” or other things, the heart button is there to save the day. Don’t do this:

cool
bottom text

It just takes up space, making it that much harder for people to find useful things.

If the heart button really isn’t enough, be more descriptive, like this:

awesome work, there's a lot of detail in that animation.

That said, 1-liners aren’t the best either. You don’t want to have some conversation like this:

a: alright what should we do, here's the file: [file]
b: idk, i gotta go first
a: ok, what time will you come back
b: maybe in an hour or so
a: ok, I'll just start working
a: hello? its been an hour
b: I'm here now
a: ok can you add the stuff
b: what do you need me to add, should i add credits
etc.

a conversation like this probably takes longer to scroll through than this post I’m making right now. don’t worry about when people are coming back, they probably will come back sooner or later. we could’ve had something like this:

a: here's the file: [file] currently it has the barebones, like a menu and play screen. the playing part is mostly finished. what do you think the next steps are?
b: we should probably link other pages, like credits, first. I'm gonna go for now, I'll be back.

[<3] a

this saves more space while conveying the same, if not more, information than before.

the conclusion? the 10-character limit is there for a reason. go more if you can. and don’t reply to this topic, of all topics out there, with something like this:

ok
[gotta go more than 10 chars]
5 Likes

Thanks for the detailed post, I totally agree!

It’s harder to read through 50 replies that say things like,
hi bottom text” and “ok bottom text,”
than it is to reply to 4 separate and more detailed replies

Thank you for pointing this out : )

3 Likes

I just don’t really care but that’s my opinion

1 Like

Please, what @awc95014 suggests here is not a suggestion, is expected. Everyone should comply with that. Please reply with respect.

i think its to prevent spam and spambots from coming in (not discobot)

I’m not saying it’s wrong in any way I agree with their PSA.

waitwaitwait you’re contradicting yourself.

do you not care or do you agree? or are you in that quantum parallel universe that you agree with my post but don’t care about it at the same time?

We all have different opinions, but that’s what makes us special
(I remember u said that before)

We’re all different and heading in multiple directions, so I think it’s better to hear different opinions from different sides, even if they don’t sound like something you would agree with

(I just don’t see the problem with a post if it was defined as an opinion)

(first of all: this is starting drama what I hate) I’m ok with one or 2 replies With Bottom Test but 3 or more is way to much :b:ottem Text I think that people should still use it in some cases but not most of the time

I disagree. “I don’t care” is not an opinion and is not respectful. What @awc95014 is stating here is not a suggestion, is what the forum expect from everyone.

Do you guys think it would be helpful if this post gets pinned for others to read? Because I do

I was gonna reply to @Jovanny with (and it’s like you didn’t even read my full reply) :upside_down_face: but I just choosed not to since it sounded aggressive

Saying “I don’t care” is just another way of saying, “I don’t agree, yet I won’t disagree”

It can be translated in two different ways

It could’ve been used disrespectfully, but I’m pretty sure @ThisUsernameIsbad added “but that's just my opinion” to avoid disrespect.

my opinion is that I’m agreeing

Do use the like button

Apparently it also means that “you agree” when you like a post

1 Like

i also found this A cartoon collab ( like the kleetus kernel one ) when i searched up bOtToM tExT

okay thats enough, @Branster_Dev, people would read the top post anyway so lets just stop it right here :eyes::+1:

1 Like

woah 14 replies of bottom text

@Branster_Dev it’s best to try to post replies in which are connected to the original topic so that this conversation can be easily read through

(don’t reply to this post if u agree)

3 Likes

I congratulate you for that… That is what we should do, be more thoughtful and try to be polite with each other.

To summarize:
The reason why we have a minimum of characters is to enforce people to reply meaningful things.

Short replies are accepted as long as your reply add value. As a forum, this is not a chatroom. This should be used to build a strong and knowledgeable Wick-Editor community.

There are important topics here that unfortunately are filled with spam and short phrases. There are replies that unfortunately are not related to the topics.

2 Likes