Forum Fighters: Rewritten (Discontinued)

what do you mean

people who join forum fighters and are allowed to have a fighter design there fighter like they draw it and make the animations for it the creator designs there own fighter.

1 Like

ohhh okay then I’ll do design maps

wait for @mlgcoolguys_1 he is the main boss of things he decides to let you in

1 Like

okay thank you @MrDashell

Ummmmm what do you plan to do, and also what can you do

Also, while I do most of the organization, I would still say baron is the real “main leader”

3 Likes

tryobyte (mlgcoolguys_1), hamzah and I are the leaders. hamzah is less active right now.

we already have a good amount of people working: me, kringle, hamzah (not anymore i think), tryo (sorta), watrmeln (sorta), and a few others i’m probably forgetting. but i guess you can still contribute.

so the rules are: you can contribute whenever. do some stuff, get credited. do enough, get an opportunity to become a character. the character must be original.

when designing an arena, give us a concept of what it will look like. don’t slap some squares onto the canvas without context and call it work. it should have art to go with it, so it has to make sense. for example, we turned the first arena into Biggie Tree. the 3rd arena doesn’t have much that makes sense. it can’t be buildings because they’re super small compared to us. it can’t be trees because we already have a tree. it can’t be a bunch of poles sticking up in the ground because… that doesn’t even make sense.

If you want to set the spawnpoint of the characters, change it in each of the players’ clips.

1 Like

im just lurking and speaking my thoughts whenever i feel like so im not contributing, but if you want my help im up for it. just ask!

1 Like

Hey Is it possible to make most of the stuff in the intro a PNG, for performance? I wanted to see if it could run faster

1 Like

Eh go try it out, jus don’t make it the main file. Also we won’t be able to update anything deco that is finalized

1 Like

I may be less active, but I’m still ready to work on this collab.

Yes, you can test this out, but just so that we have editing capabilities, we might do this as the final step (final step === compressing file)

2 Likes

My Project5-12-2021_19-53-29.wick (720.6 KB)

AH. IT DONE
TREAT LIKE A SILDE SHOW
I think i missed a bit of info so just ask if its unclear

2 Likes

Does Wick support SVG? Because I believe that would be faster.

1 Like

All yours. My work is for the public domain to be used.

2 Likes

that’s gonna be a lot of animations to do… with 4 slots and 8 weapons, with (probably) the option of having less than 4 weapons… that’s (8 choose 4) + (8 choose 3) + (8 choose 2) + (8 choose 1) = 162 animations just to do this. If you are required to have 4 weapons, that’s still (8 choose 4) = 70 animations.

so of course, these are overcalculations, some things don’t have to be animated. for example, you don’t have to hold the sword or boomerang while running, but you need to show them seperately while attacking. but still, even if we cut the animations in half, that’s still either 81 or 35 animations to do. there’s no way we can do that practically.

besides, if each character can just choose the same 4 weapons, the only difference between these characters are movement speed, etc.

so how about as a compromise, instead of using physical weapons, we can use “badges” to slightly modify the character? for example:

• a speed badge increases speed by 30% but you recieve 20% more damage
  • a weight-adder badge decreases speed by 30% and your jump is decreased by 10% but your knockback is reduced by 40% and your attack is 30% stronger. (similar to walterweight boots)
  • a feather increases your jump height by 50% but your recieve 40% more knockback.
1 Like

Regarding animations.

• to save space, (most) (held) weapons will not have a holstered look. (Sorry for the misleading example)
  • animations don’t have to be silky smooth, for most of the swing sword animations 5 to 7 frames (or less) should do.
  • yes, all weapon slots have to be filled

While I do agree eve with all things considered, it’s a hefty task.Definitely. But one must dream big.
Dispute the fact that we are no where to being even 10% done we are still the biggest project to ever exist in wick.
And while you’re suggestion could work in some other fighting game, FF is my creative output project and I want it the my best of works. So let’s try this, for now we just animate and make the 4 “stock” (default) weapons for each character with one extra primary. If the task is too big I will consider cutting out tertiary weapons.

I believe in us, but I would be lying if I said that finishing the game would be an easy task. But we don’t have to do it alone. We can try to release trials including many different veriants of the fighting mechanics. Along the way we can eventually pick up people from the wilds(internet) with even more free time and skill. Our first goal is to make a functioning fighting system (with 3 playable characters with 5 different weapons) and the first chapter (and maybe cutscenes) and then release it. We will need all the feedback we need.

Also, most of the weapons that will be in the game can only be held by a single character. There’s a reason for this,
Let’s use an example.
Alexis, speed: 135% (default)
Random weapon, airtight arsenal, + 20% speed (additive)
End product: alexis with 155% speed

This. Is what we want to avoid at.all.costs.
Most weapons provided to a character is to compliment their stats and personal abilities. Not overbuff them. That’s way badges may not be the best idea

1 Like

Woops, accidentally went a little personal there. Probably shouldn’t be doing these at 1 in the morning…
Tell me when u wake up if I’m typing gibberish

2 Likes

Hey so if you’re fine with it, I added an array for both players to prevent them from using the same attacks mid-air:

// begin attack
        if (!player.attack && isKeyJustPressed(player.attackKey1) && !player.isHurt) {

if(isKeyDown(player.leftKey) || isKeyDown(player.rightKey)) { // side attack
            //If player didn't do a side attack 
                if (!player.doneAttacks.includes(player.sideAttack)){
                    project.playerAttack(player, player.sideAttack);
                    //add attack to the player.doneAttacks array
                    player.doneAttacks.push(player.sideAttack)
                }
            } else if(isKeyDown(player.upKey)) { // up attack
            //If player didn't do an up attack 
                if (!player.doneAttacks.includes(player.upAttack)){
                    project.playerAttack(player, player.upAttack);
                    player.doneAttacks.push(player.upAttack)
                }
            } else if(isKeyDown(player.downKey)) { // down attack
                if (player.canJump){//on ground
                    project.playerAttack(player, player.floorAttack);
                } else {//on air
                //If player didn't do a down attack 
                    if (!player.doneAttacks.includes(player.downAttack)){
                        project.playerAttack(player, player.downAttack);
                        player.doneAttacks.push(player.downAttack)
                    }
                }
            } else { // also neutral attack, if player doesn't press any arrows
                     //Tried to make Neutral Attacks - KringlePrinkles
                if (player.canJump){//on ground
                    project.playerAttack(player, player.N_Attack);
                } else {//on air
                //If player didn't do an Air Neutral attack 
                    if (!player.doneAttacks.includes(player.NA_Attack)){
                        project.playerAttack(player, player.NA_Attack);
                        player.doneAttacks.push(player.NA_Attack)
                    }
                }

}
            //If player touches the ground, empty restricted attacks
        } if (player.canJump){player.doneAttacks = [];}
3 Likes

Is it too late to say i liked the old intro better
i tried re-adding it with some tweaks and it turned out nice
FFR 1.3.26 v10 (readded old intro)5-13-2021_8-51-10.wick (1.1 MB)

1 Like

Character Attack Animations

• New character placeholder attack animations! they’re both the same! Now we have a format to work with!

• You may have noticed that mid-air you can only use each attack once… until you touch the ground.
  • Removed that weird floaty thing that happens near the top of the arena! good!
  • removed the overengineering in my intro. It seems to be less laggy? I don’t think there’s a difference but it definitely looks simpler to manage. (The game wont start the intro until you click the screen… when exporting to html the game doesn’t load the audio. This is a dumb countermeasure for it.)
  • Tried keeping the billboard out from the game intro and main menu screens, hopefully making the game start-up less lagged.
  • tweaked the attacks a little to fit some animations…

FFR 1.3.27 attack animations.wick (1.1 MB)

Man I gotta go to sleep cause otherwise i’d be scolded. GOODNIGHT! (don’t let the bed bugs bite!) sorry if there are any problemssorry I didn’t merge your update Watrmeln I didn’t have time

4 Likes