Implementing New Functionality into the Text Tool (w/ Poll)

Bitmap Functionalities:

Resizing

@BreakTheIcing
What: When using the selection handles around text boxes, you’d think you could horizontally, vertically, or diagonally stretch the text–similar to a shape or line; however, upon releasing the mouse button, the text box pops back to its original size. Text is constrained to its font size (which seems to max out at 150)
Why: Allowing resizing through selection handles, would allow users to get certain text effects/tweens/etc. that otherwise would have to be drawn in.

Vector Functionalities:

Tracking

@BreakTheIcing
What: Text tracking refers to the space between letters. Editing tracking would allow you to space out text as well as bring it closer together.
Why: Text meant to cover a large space, such as a billboard or storefront, could do so without being stretched out.

Stroke/Outline

@BreakTheIcing
What: This would outline your text. This would also require a stroke/outline color + thickness be implemented.
Why: Self-explanatory

Expand or contract the region where the text wraps

@kryptot7 (paraphrased)
What: If the text box is dragged while you’re typing, it should expand or contract the region where the text wraps. If the text box is dragged but the text contents are NOT currently being edited, it should stretch all the text inside as if it were a shape [See “Resizing”] Alternatively, Shift could toggle between the two behaviors.

Font Weights

@kryptot7
What: Right now, we can only choose between Normal and Bold using the Bold button. However, many fonts (such as Roboto) have several other weights such as Medium, Light, Black, etc. This feature would really require a Google Fonts API Key to do right, because Wick (AFAIK) doesn’t have one, so it can’t query Google Fonts to see what fonts are available and what weights of each font exist.

Standard Fonts

@kryptot7
What: Another nice feature is the ability to use standard web fonts like Arial, Times New Roman, Comic Sans MS, etc.
Why: While these are very basic-looking, it’s nice to at least have the option to use them.

About

Discussion Summary

The text tool–like on many softwares–is completely vector. However, I believe adding features traditionally seen in bitmap editors would help with achieving certain aesthetics. There are also new vector features the text tool could stand to improve from. I am drawing much of my inspiration in writing this from Affinity Designer, an artistic tool, and FCPX (an editing software). These both contain many of (if not all of) these features.

This discussion does not concern coding, but if you’d like to find text discussions that do so, refer to “Similar Discussions/Posts.”

Suggest Functionalities

Reply with your own text tool suggestions and I may amend this post to include them. Please include what the functionality is, why it’s needed, and whether it is more so vector or bitmap. You will be credited/tagged for your suggestion if added. “Self-explanatory” is a valid answer to both the first questions. :slight_smile:

Suggest Edit

If you happen to find a spelling/grammar error feel free to leave a reply. If you come upon a similar discussion, reply with a link, and it’ll be linked at the bottom of this first post.

Contributors

@BreakTheIcing @kryptot7

Similar Discussions/Posts:

Wick 0.13 Update Thread! ;
[Idea] Text outline/shadow ;
Text Variables input out put boxes

Anonymous Poll:
Should these functions be implemented?

• I agree with adding all of these functions.
  • I agree with adding one/some of these functions.
  • I like the text tool as is.

0 voters

1 Like

I think these are all great ideas, @BreakTheIcing. The poll was a nice touch as well!

I suggest that dragging the ends of a text box should have two possible functions depending on context:
A. Stretch all the text inside as if it were a shape
B. Expand or contract the region where the text wraps

If the text box is dragged but the text contents are NOT currently being edited (i.e. you’re not in “typing” mode), I think A should happen. If the text box is dragged WHILE you’re in “typing” mode, I think B should happen. Alternatively, Shift could toggle between the two behaviors.

In Flash, resizing a text box always does B, since if you wanted to do A, you’d use the Transform toolimage. However, I like that Wick doesn’t have a transform tool and instead allows you to transform a shape just by selecting it (like in PowerPoint).

Another nice feature I think Wick should have is the little white corner shape that appears when editing text in Flash.
If you double-click it, it toggles between a circle and a square. A circle means the text flows freely and doesn’t wrap; a square means there’s a horizontal limit, and if the text gets longer than that, it will wrap.

Another nice feature is the ability to use standard web fonts like Arial, Times New Roman, Comic Sans MS, etc. While these are very basic-looking, it’s nice to at least have the option to use them.

Lastly, Wick’s missing an important formatting feature: font weights. Right now, we can only choose between Normal and Bold using the Bold button. However, many fonts (such as Roboto) have several other weights such as Medium, Light, Black, etc.
This feature would really require a Google Fonts API Key to do right, because Wick (AFAIK) doesn’t have one, so it can’t query Google Fonts to see what fonts are available and what weights of each font exist.

1 Like

@kryptot7, thanks for contributing & I’m glad you like the poll.
I’ve added each of your suggestions. :slight_smile:

Expand or contract the region where the text wraps@kryptot7 (paraphrased)
What: If the text box is dragged while you’re typing, it should expand or contract the region where the text wraps. If the text box is dragged but the text contents are NOT currently being edited, it should stretch all the text inside as if it were a shape [See “Resizing”] Alternatively, Shift could toggle between the two behaviors.

Font Weights @kryptot7
What: Right now, we can only choose between Normal and Bold using the Bold button. However, many fonts (such as Roboto) have several other weights such as Medium, Light, Black, etc. This feature would really require a Google Fonts API Key to do right, because Wick (AFAIK) doesn’t have one, so it can’t query Google Fonts to see what fonts are available and what weights of each font exist.

Standard Fonts @kryptot7
What: Another nice feature is the ability to use standard web fonts like Arial, Times New Roman, Comic Sans MS, etc.
Why: While these are very basic-looking, it’s nice to at least have the option to use them.

1 Like

Thanks! I also found a Github issue I opened a while ago that mentioned how Pixi.js (the renderer Wick uses) can easily create text effects: https://github.com/zrispo/wick-editor/issues/861

No problem! I’ve also linked your post to the end of the topic, as well as compressed the post to save space.

Hey all,

Thanks for putting this thread together, will be referencing it a lot when I start the big text overhaul in the new version of wick~

1 Like

Glad to hear it, @zrispo!

All of this and to choose any font that you have on your computer and to have them be embedded into your project.

Edit: Sorry for reviving an old thread :/

3 Likes

Nice work with that, but I kinda want to ask a couple questions.
1, how did you do the dropdown menus for your suggestions, and 2, how on earth did you make the poll?

Create a new topic.
Hit the gear icon.
Select build poll.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh… never knew it was that easy. Thanks @colorsCrimsonTears for letting me know.

1 Like