Wicky Adventures 1.2 Now in Development

I have a better version that doesn’t lag at run time… at least if its played using the editor… and the HTML export behave a lot better. Even though that, as you mentioned, within the editor when the project is not running everything lags as if we were in slow motion. It seems that the WickEditor and the wickEditor player run using different processes or threads.

I made some improvements code-wise and also layer-wise.

I selected all objects and set their opacity to 0, so they would be invisible. I did this to see if setting an object’s opacity to 0 would make Wick editor just not render it, since I think that was what’s causing the lag. But the performance was still the same: very slow. If Wick Editor renders invisible objects, they should make it not do that.

1 Like

That was a good test. Mmm… If that so the problem should be associated to memory. This is running in chrome (in my case), and Im not sure how much memory chrome can use or is allow to use from the computer.

I have made games in Unity that have more objects and things happenning and they dont lag in my PC at 60fps. This one is running at 30fps and is still lagging now that im adding more stuff.

1 Like

I was looking at the source code and I think it does not render invisible objects. I guess it lags for a different reason, then. Though I am unsure of it.

3 Likes

I guess it has to do with the great graphics this demo has! I didn’t try this method, but turning some groups of lines to png or gif might possibly speed the process, making every group of lines could count as one png object. This is a long process to do, and I don’t know if it’s gonna work, so do it for the things u clone first, and see if there’s any progress.

2 Likes

I did it with the ground… before it was 10 objects together… I took a screenshot and then uploas it as a one complete png. The performance improved. The project that I shared with all of you had that change already. I tried to export pngs for other stuff, but the editor does not do the work as I wanted.

I have also refactored some of the layers in the scene, and that helped. In mu current scene, I only have 4 layers.

2 Likes

That’s good.

You don’t have to export, take screenshots, and make it transparent (unless if it was a gif ur trying to export to)

2 Likes

What software do u use to make it transparent?

1 Like

Kapwing has some cool tools, one of them is making an image transparent. I also use sketchpad, the eraser tool there makes stuff transparent, and it was also the first animating website I used to use (before wick).

(note: sometimes after u make the background transparent, the image size doesn’t change, so if that happens, try cropping it from your file viewer or use kapwing’s cropping tool)

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I will try the sketch one. After I finish with the version 1.1 work.

2 Likes

Totally agree… all the info of all the vector graphics…

2 Likes

I played around a bit with the most recent file given, and it seems that when i get rid of the graphics it improves, but surprisingly not by much. At that point when I changed the framerate to 60 (from 30) it felt about the same speed. It’s probably something to do with the off-screen stuff. I decided to move the black cover to see what’s happening off-screen.

I also ran into an error just as the cowblock was coming (probably cuz i tampered with stuff), but to get there took way too long. If we can find the reason it’s lagging, maybe it’ll be a better experience. :)

3 Likes

It is related to memory management… It is taking more than a GB, to only run this app with the Editor.

2 Likes

I have an idea. Maybe not putting everything in a single frame would increase performance.

2 Likes

Yup… In Flash we could store everything in the asset library or in Unity in a prefab and then you can call them as needed in run time.

@Luxapodular … Your team should consider doing something similar…

In here, I’m not sure if we could put all the assets to be cloned in the second frame and then call them when needed… Is that even possible? I’m currently using the second frame to freely draw new stuff. :P :P

2 Likes

I was thinking of maybe, for example, putting the boss in the second frame. Then when it’s boss time the game will switch to the second frame. The player and the background and GUIs will span across all frames.

2 Likes

@pumpkinhead
That is a good option… I would need to redesign some things, since I want to add more levels with different themes(graphics)… And I was thinking to put every level in a different Frame… Maybe frame1 for Level 1, frame 2 Could be for Level 1 boss, frame 3 for Level 2, frame 4 for Level 2 boss, and so on…

but I will ask for a new feature to the design team… I’ll be opening a forum topic for that, about baking graphics… please comment there as well, since your inputs are valuable.

1 Like

@pumpkinhead @Hamzah_Al_Ani @awc95014

Oh oh… It looks like you can’t clone a clip that contains a PNG. It doesn’t appear in the screen…
Does anyone tried that before? take a PNG and convert it into a clip, and then try to do clipName.clone();
At least in my PC the PNG does not render. Then if you enter to edit the clip and add some lines using the editor, and you try again, you would see the object cloned, but only the lines, not the PNG part… This is pretty bad!!! : (

Could any of you try it, so we could officially post that bug?

1 Like

I didn’t try it yet, but I just remembered that the same issue happened to someone named @Greg.
I thought the bug got fixed, and forgot about it (it was 3 months ago, u just reminded me of it)
Really sorry for that @Jovanny

2 Likes

This happens to me too.

2 Likes