Forum Fighters: Rewritten (Discontinued)

im back how is it going

hey may i see the file

Heyo sorry for the silence, I got owned by my ma (read, detoxing from devices) so I won’t be back and working snail’s pace until Monday or Sunday.

When it does become Monday or Sunday: I’ll be then working on TryoByte’s character design, then normal attacks, and finally I’d either create a winner screen (because it looks pretty stale) or add sfx (because… well… crickets and all). I kinda written it here to jog my memory.

1 Like

in case you plan to do this, or in case anyone wants to help with these, i have a list of SFX we should probably do:

• button
    • hover over button
    • normal click button (normal menu changes)
      • when you do a “big” menu change (start a game, start story mode, etc) it could also be more echo-y
    • go-back click button (all the “back” buttons) (maybe, or we can just use the normal click button)
  • game
    • hits
      • 2-3 light hits
      • 2-3 normal hits
      • 2-3 hard hits
    • footsteps? (depends on surface and player)
    • jumping?
    • landing? (depends on surface and player) (maybe the same as the footsteps)
    • 3-2-1-go and finish
    • misc. SFX that are based on the attacks (sword/kick/punch woosh, laser pew, etc)
  • story mode
    • dialogue blips/bips/bops/beeps (like in undertale)
    • if it has animation, a bunch of other misc. stuff
  • and probably a bunch of other things…
2 Likes
  1. In most chapters, he is a simple and annoying entity
  2. I don’t really understand the logic of this. Unless you are implying that all enemies would funtion like a humanoid fighting character(which wouldn’t be the best idea),
    Wouldn’t it make sense to use different ai for different types of enemies with different skills then of the useable player characters?
    Using the example of Xout, he has extremely good vertical mobility with his constant jumps but is slower when having to move horizontally, due to the fact he doesnt have a walking move

Take this for an example:
You know super Mario bros right?
Imagine if all the enemies in that game acted like mario; jumping around, running back and forth. It wouldn’t create the same feeling as the normal goombas that just walk around.

Look at it this way
Using the Mario example again,
Comparing the moveset of Mario to let’s say… A hammer bro,
the hammer bro is able to jump around really fast, throw multiple hammers at mario, but never walks
Marion on the other hand, can kill enemies by jumping on them, he is able to crouch, and with a fireflower powerup, shoot fireballs

Now imagine a new senario ;
Let’s say we want to make a bot of Mario and recode the hammer bro
Once we are done coding our Mario, Should we recycle the code to make a hammer bro?
Maybe. But it’s a big big big maybe. Since the two have different skills and characteristics but have a few similarities (ie, their movement) so it could be possible to code it … But at that point you would effectively be just editing 90% of Mario’s code just to get a hammer bro,
When it’s possible to just try and make a new code for it, which would be simpler and faster, mainly due to the part that enemies tend to be simpler in nature then player bots.
So… Why?

only cutscenes will slow the game down and make the magic of cutscenes boring and only using dialogue would make the universe of the game stale with nothing to wow at

So I COMPLETELY agree with the idea to go hybrid, to get the best of both worlds, no argument here

Well, chapter 0 is basically half a page away from completion, so expect to see it done by tmr.
But. I have spent most of my free time at school writing Down story ideas about the first chapter, trying to contect the scenes to the universe,
You said you wanted a side scroller right?
And the first that came into my mind are trains…

1 Like

ok, i agree with your different-AI argument.

If you mean that the arena is in a side scroller with trains passing by, then sure, that sounds pretty good.

You will be on the train

On top

sigh… all quiet on the western front arent we

BrickStar’s Rating

Age Rating

This Game is Rated 7+

Why 7+

This game has Cartoon Violence And the ButtonCombs can be hard for a 3-year-old to Play

Quality Rating

This game is Reciving EX for excelentet !! this game has Officially The Highest Rating in the BrickStar Rating (Fear Rating Because The game is not done yet) Also the badge will change on the Full game release or on a Big Update

Why EX

This Game Has Already Great Visuals and The gamePlay is fun too!

FeedBack

-good things:
The game is not done yet and even now it is one of Wick’s most Impressive games I have ever seen in my Life It can even Compete with Games Outside of wick! The sounds are good too and the gameplay is fun!

-Not so good things:
Not so much the game isn’t finished yet I’m sure more content will be added so The only bad point is Gone

Infos about the Rating

4 Likes

I’ll voice this now so that I wouldn’t look dead:

I’ll just discuss character design ideas with TryoByte fir a while because I am pretty intimidated and stuck regarding how I could go about it.

So Tryobyte will be a little slower and heavier than Baron.

FFR TryoByte

2 Likes

hey yall, so i know that this collab is slowing down (by a lot). this reply has a few purposes.

• to show that i’m alive
  • maybe to re-initiate progress on this game?
  • i now know why audio wouldn’t play in HTML until the user clicked something (like the start button that starts the intro) (i randomly found this on twitter lol)
    • the start button at the beginning of the game has to be pressed in order for the website to be allowed to output sound
      • browsers apparently require the user to input a gesture (click, key press, etc) in order for the website to make sound
    • when the start button at the beginning of the game isn’t there, we don’t hear the intro music because there was no gesture. if we make a gesture at any point, the audio will start to play.
    • this doesn’t happen in the editor because we click stuff in the editor before running the project, so the browser is happy to play the audio

this is the tweet i saw in the last bullet (it’s cut off to show only what you need to see).

Firefox autoplays audio even without gesture!
Also, i might try decorating map 2.
I’ll decorate it like a city, and the map name?

Urban Heat

I'll also add custom tab titles like "Main Menu," "Browsing the almanac," and "In a Quick Match."

also: cool sun i made

1 Like

Ta-Da!
FFR 1.4.26 (Arena 2 Decor)7-25-2021_15-21-28.wick (1.7 MB)
@KringlePrinkles @awc95014 @mlgcoolguys_1

also

i sent you something on discord

1 Like

it’s good overall, but the trees feel really unnatural. you can move things around to make it better. (it doesn’t even have to be symmetrical. as long as the arena doesn’t give a noticeable advantage to a player just because of where they spawn, it’s fine.)

also… why does this collab have to be so secret ._. is it so secret that even i can’t see it?

I posted it in #post-your-work on discord
Its called what….mp3

Also, the hitboxes are kinda wack but i replaced the trees with scaffolding
FFR 1.4.26 (Arena 2 Decor)7-25-2021_16-10-51.wick (1.7 MB)

1 Like

I had my friend @santadoggy test out 1.4.26 and he gave a bit of constructive criticism.

He said that players handled a bit slippery, though it isn’t a big deal.
He also suggested keybinds, we can use prompt("") and project. variables to handle those
He Thinks that Gamemodes like Time/Stock battles should be added and suggested that different bot difficulties like easy, moderate, and hard should be a thing since the bot is a bit hard.

We also thought of 2 maps, Pirate/Cruise ship and Beach at Sunset
If the pirate ship is also a story map, we thought of a boss where the glitch takes the form of the captain

For the beach, there’s the main platform and then birds flying by which you can stand on

Here are his sketches:

2 Likes

I think using prompts is kinda basic. we can make it fancier by when you click “change keybind” or something, you are asked to press a key. you press that key, and a keypressed script will catch it, and set the control to key (the last key pressed). if you click the screen instead, it will cancel.

the advantages of this are:

• it’s fancier
  • it’s customizable (graphics-wise)
  • you can easily make bind the arrow keys, shift, etc

i’ll try quickly make an example. (edit: might make it later if needed, not now though)

1 Like

FFR 1.4.27 (Settings)7-27-2021_20-17-24.wick (1.7 MB)
I made a settings window, a future home for the keybind changer
Also @awc95014 it may need to be redrawn, but do you thing the fact i did the decor for map 2 is enough to possibly get my oc in?

also you may not want to click the homework folder…

2 Likes

i think you can have one. we’re also a bit short on characters, so it’s a win-win. but we should see what @KringlePrinkles and @mlgcoolguys_1 think.

sure :3
just make it well disnigned