Tetris Dev Jam

Hi Community,
We have 2 participants for this Tetris Jam:

Please give them a try, and leave your comments and constructive feedback. I have to say, making a Tetris Game is a challenge, and these 2 participants made a complete functional Tetris game each.

Please congratulate, and support them. Even though I’ll be selecting the winner based on the criteria that I established here the criteria, it would be good if you guys (the community) play both versions and tell which one you like the most and why.

The winner will be announced tomorrow at 6:00pm (EST) (Oct 30, 2021)

Thank you!

3 Likes

Timezone, please?

1 Like

Anyone? It is important to participate in this things. (How can we do bigger events if there is no-one showing interest?). (Please don’t rate mine, I’m not a contest participant)

Part of the community

@Hamzah_Al_Ani
@blurredPixels
@Monospace
@mlgcoolguys_1
@MrDashell
@gamer_boi
@Stephen_Barbaro
@SomeoneElse
@Watrmeln
@Crafter_Flance
@Dol_Boonsomchin
@KringlePrinkles
@Jordy
@Brickstar_X
@Luxapodular

feedback

3 Likes

i guess nothing’s stopping me from giving feedback to pumpkinhead.

the fact that it runs at 60fps is great. mine barely runs at 30, and sometimes it goes lower.

however, it’s really annoying that the I piece spawns vertically, especially as a person who plays way too much tetris.

also, the I piece kicks are still buggy. seems like the kicks are 1 block off.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w_88MhzCVodOiATfqbVGNYOPeQUnPAfg/view?usp=sharing

I noticed that you also have combo sounds. each combo is more high-pitched than the last. but I didn’t see “clear.mp3” in your code anywhere, nor did I see anything about changing pitch… where is it?

3 Likes

As a relatively new Tetris player, here are my evaluations.

@pumpkinhead’s submission:
Pumpkinhead’s submission is - well, Tetris. It runs very smoothly (45 - 60 FPS on a medium-end device), everything is fleshed out, but it’s still just Tetris in the end.

7/10

@awc95014’s submission:
The Block Game Strikes back is an excellent game. I got carried away with it while playtesting! The only downside I could see is that i is very laggy. 14 - 15 fps on a medium-end device, and I would not even imagine playing it on a lower-end device.

6/10

4 Likes

BrickStar’s Rating

Tetris (@pumpkinhead )

Age Rating

Why 0

This game dosent contain any harmful content it has chilling graphics and probably wont affect anyone!

Quality Rating

Why P

This game is rated P because most of it is realy cool and working! this game didnt quite get an Ex rating because gameplay site could have ben done more! I think if @awc95014 version and yours would Combine, the game would have ben easly an EX! but i’m sure that this game deserves a look from anybody!

FeedBack

GoodThings:

1. Fells Very Polishd (Expect the Musik Part)
  2. Catchy sound track!
  3. Working and Polished Gameplay!
  4. Good UI!
  5. Nice sound effects!

Things that could have been done better:

1. more things on gameplay site! but don’t worry This game is still good!

Infos about the Rating

3 Likes

BrickStar’s Rating

The Block game with Strikes (@awc95014 )

Age Rating

Why 0

This game dosent contain any harmful content it has chilling graphics and probably wont affect anyone!

Quality Rating

This game is rated P for Perfect!

Why P

It is a realy cool game with some nice new GamePlay elements! This game is in my opinion the other Hidden site of All “Wick Tetris games” its laks in some other parts were @pumpkinhead version showed how to do but it also have things that does it beter then all the other versions! I think @awc95014. @pumpkinhead combined would be a GREAT wick game! and easly would be abble to get a EX! or a P! so i’m intresred in the future! but overall a Good P game!

FeedBack

GoodThings:

1. Good GamePlay!
  2. Catchy sound track!
  3. Nice Ui (even though it haves someproblem if you turn it into an HTML file
  4. Nice sound effects

Things that could have been done better:

1. more Polishment! I like the graphics for example but in comparisen to @pumpkinhead version it laks. but as i said this game has other strengths! that show a cool new Twist in gameplay!

Infos about the Rating

3 Likes

main code: line 442
Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 3.07.20 PM

1 Like

Alright.

Pumpkin’s TETRIS
10/10 Nothing wrong with this.
AWC’S Tetris
The music makes it less exciting and competitive 10/10

2 Likes

First, As I said before… My respect with these two participants. Making a Tetris game in a few days is a thing for Advance Wick Editor Users/Programmers. And both of them @pumpkinhead and @awc95014 exceeded in this Area.

Now, with regards this Tetris Development Jam, the criteria used to select the winner is divided in 5 main areas. Each area weights the same… So with a percentage of 86% Vs 80%, the Winner of this Tetris Game Jam is @awc95014. The main difference between the two versions was in the originality aspect of the criteria. Both versions of the game are well done and fantastic.

Here are the results details:

3 Likes

Really enjoyed both.
Re: Pumpkinhead’s: It’s a bit disappointing that, at least on my end, colour wasn’t really retained when filling the board. But it worked reasonably fast (35-60 fps). The block colours were a nice pastel. Nice choice there. Overall, the visual choice was pretty.
Baron’s: It was often working lower than 15 fps. I have a reasonably powered machine. Not sure why it was so slow. Visual choice was a bit jarring, but still colourful and bold. It felt more stable than pumpkinhead’s was, which occasionally moved my blocks too much(?). It was fun even losing, I like the way losing works.
I don’t know enough about tetris, and haven’t played them for long enough. For the little I did play, I really enjoyed this. Thanks!

1 Like

my coding kinda sucks…

not sure what you mean, it looks fine to me.

don’t know what you mean by moving the blocks too much, but I’m guessing it has to do with DAS and ARR. here’s a visual about how DAS and ARR work.

I make it so that in my game, this is changeable by the user. in pumpkinhead’s game, DAS and ARR are the same.

the DAS time in pumpkinhead’s game is too short, which is why Jovanny says that when he wants to move only one space to the side, it will actually move 2.

the purpose of DAS and ARR is that many times, you only need to move the piece by 1 space, so you tap the key before DAS finishes. However, many other times you need to move the piece all the way to the side of the board (for finesse and speed reasons… i don’t think I’m going to describe finesse). so you hold the key, and instead of waiting for the slower DAS time, you let the faster ARR time move the piece faster. Many high-level players use an ARR of 0.

1 Like

Comparative to PKH’s, I mean- compared to soft pastels. It IS fine, and meets my idea of what tetris should probably look like. Sorry, I’ve put in something mis-interpretable.

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

I sacrificed color for performance. Instead of using one clip per cell, it groups cells together so that it uses less clips overall. I’m on my phone right now so I can’t really draw an image to explain this better. Search up greedy meshing.

Anyway I’m glad baron won. Mines is just vanilla tetris. Also I would have just given the prize to 2nd place if I did win it. I don’t really wanna have to deal with somehow actually receiving that physical prize.

Also I swear the Tetris wiki said the I piece spawned vertically on the SRS page

3 Likes

I’ll try to do another one at the end of the year, or at the beginning of the next year. Probably a simpler one so more people can join. Tetris was a little bit for advance WE users. As you mention, dealing with a physical prize is not ideal. I’m thinking, the prize could be a virtual gift card next time.

1 Like

Perhaps a visa card
And the game could be something like a platformer

1 Like

Lets see what can I get…

Probably easier than that. I discussed the idea already with Luca (@Luxapodular ), yesterday. Coming soon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:eyes: Luxapodular’s still around?

… if he doesn’t want to talk publicly, can you tell him I said hi?

2 Likes

this is what i read

the exclusion of the I piece in the “flat-side” category likely meant that the I piece does not spawn on its flat/longest side.

1 Like

It is fine, I think that I failed to you two. I should have write or point to some minimum requirements. Both did excellent job. Thank you for your contribution to our community.